This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

With the peak of midterm season hitting us, I’m sure we have all felt an overwhelming wave of stress and are currently looking for new ways to relieve that tension and heal! 

Look no further because aromatherapy is the new way to go. Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses natural plant extracts to promote health and well-being. It is the practice of using essential oils for a therapeutic benefit and has been around for centuries!

Essential oils could be used as a mood booster, bacteria killer, headache reliever, and more. They are the compounds extracted from these plants and are able to capture the scent, flavor, or “essence” of a certain plant. Since these extracts are derived from plants, it is a natural remedy to help benefit human health in various different forms.

How it works is through scent, the molecules from the essential oils are able to travel from olfactory receptors that are directed to the brain, and hit the amygdala which is our emotional center, causing a positive reaction due to the smell. Additionally, essential oils can also be applied topically through the skin to help. Most of the time though, it can be put into humidifiers or diffusers to distribute the smell throughout the room.

Below I will be naming a few essential oils you could use to benefit your life further.

See which oil is “essential” for you!

1. Lavender
  • This scent is pretty versatile, but is most commonly used to aid anxiety and insomnia. Many find this smell to be extremely relaxing and help relieve stress. Lavender is personally my favorite essential oil so I definitely recommend adding this one to your list, I use it every day!
  1. Peppermint
  • This scent is known to boost energy levels as well as aid digestion. It is also used in many dietary supplements that have helped people with nausea, vomiting, and morning sickness. There’s even evidence that shows it is beneficial to those suffering from IBS or headaches!
  1. Tea Tree
  • This scent is used to fight infections and boost immunity. Topically it can be used for acne, athlete’s foot, insect bites, minor wounds, etc. It is most commonly used to soothe the skin from irritations.
  1. Eucalyptus
  • This scent also has many benefits but is commonly used for decreasing pain and relieving cold symptoms. It can also be used to freshen your breath as well as be an insect repellant due to its strong aroma!
  1. Jasmine
  • This scent acts as a sedative and calms the mind, body, and soul. It can help put people in a “loving” mood as it enhances your libido. It is also said to help with depression, inflammation, and childbirth.

Let us know your favorite essential oil @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi !! I'm Mikaila and I am currently a fourth year at SJSU majoring in Communication Studies. I enjoy writing as it allows me to express my thoughts and opinions and share them with others!