3 Programs for First Generation College Students at San Jose State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As a first-generation college student it’s hard to navigate college and find resources and people to support you through your journey. But San Jose State provides hella programs just for us! Some of these I didn’t even know were offered until my senior year. To make sure you get the most out of your time at SJSU, here are some programs offered for first-generation college students:

EOP

From academic advising, resume building, to mentorship and grants, EOP is a program that provides numerous opportunities for students to grow academically. They also provide opportunities to develop leadership skills. EOP offers a summer bridge program that allows students to take a class during the summer (usually an area E) and other math or English readiness courses. Food, housing, school supplies and other needs found on their website is also all paid by EOP.

Aspire

Also known as the Academic Support Program for Increased Retention in Education, Aspire is for low-income first-generation college students. Aspire’s goal is to help students stay in and graduate from college. They provide students advising, graduate school information, exploration in internship and job opportunities and a place where students who are first-generation can come together. Students can apply online and turn in an application. 

McNair Scholars Program

McNair Scholars Program is for undergraduate students who are interested in graduate school. This program provides opportunities to tour different colleges from across the country, help with graduate school applications, GRE practice and information about financial resources. Applications due October 31, so click on the link above to apply!

Public relations major with a minor in photography at San Jose State University.