Grid Paper?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Grid Paper?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Olivia Rodrigo Merch / Canva

What “Lacy” by Olivia Rodrigo Means to Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

We all have that one person in our lives, someone we can’t help but envy and admire simultaneously. They’re the embodiment of everything we aspire to be. Olivia Rodrigo perfectly captures this feeling in her song, “Lacy,” the fourth track on her new album “GUTS.”  Lacy is that person who seems to have it all effortlessly. 

To me, the word “Lacy” symbolizes femininity and beauty while also alluding to the complicated and tangled feelings one might have for Lacy. When people accessorize their hair with ribbons/ bows, we consider them delicate and soft. We might feel a sense of jealousy that they appear to be so put together, much like a neatly arranged box of chocolates with a ribbon tied on top. 

Lacy, oh Lacy, skin like puff pastry

Aren’t you the sweetest thing on this side of Hell?

Dear angel Lacy, eyes white as daisies

Did I ever tell you that I’m not doing’ well?

Olivia Rodrigo -“Lacy”

Olivia opens up the song by describing the physical admiration of Lacy and how that makes her feel. Lacy is described as the “sweetest thing on this side of hell.” Olivia using the word “hell” instead of “heaven” shows the side of toxicity and obsession one would feel towards Lacy. Lacy is someone who has perfect skin and eyes and is, in essence, an angel.

Ooh, I care, I care, I care

Like perfume that you wear, I linger all the time

Watching, hidden in plain sight

And ooh, I try, I try, I try

But it takes over my life, I see you everywhere

The sweetest torture one could bear.

Olivia Rodrigo -“Lacy”

She goes on to say that she cares, but she can only try so much till it hurts herself. She compares her feelings to lingering perfume and expresses that she constantly watches Lacy from afar. Lacy’s presence has become an all-encompassing form of “sweet torture.” 

Similar to the first verse, she uses contradicting words again (sweet, torture) to show an unhealthy obsession with a person you find to be unbelievably beautiful and perfect.

Smart, sexy Lacy, I’m losin’ it lately

I feel your compliments likе bullets on skin

Dazzling starlet, Bardot reincarnatе

Well, aren’t you the greatest thing to ever exist?

Olivia Rodrigo -“Lacy”

Here, the desire and admiration for Lacy are evident in the phrases “smart, sexy Lacy” and “Dazzling starlet.” She even goes to the lengths to say that Lacy is “Bardot reincarnate,” referring to the French actress and model Brigitte Bardot. Since one would subconsciously place Lacy on the highest pedestal, any compliment that they would give you seems fake even though they genuinely might mean it. 

Ooh, I care, I care, I care

Like ribbons in your hair, my stomach’s all in knots

You got the one thing that I want

Ooh, I try, I try, I try

Try to rationalize, people are people

But it’s like you’re made of angel dust.

Olivia Rodrigo -“Lacy”

We know that Lacy either literally wears ribbons, metaphorically wears them to appear to be put together, or both. The phrase “my stomach’s all in knots” indicates that one would feel nervous or anxious, likely due to their feelings for or about Lacy. Olivia immediately explains that Lacy possesses something that one would deeply desire. Whether it is about Lacy’s beauty, charisma, or some other captivating quality.

Despite your efforts to rationalize, reminding yourself that ‘everyone is beautiful in their own way,’ you can’t fathom how Lacy could be everything you’ve dreamt of being. Lacy’s effortless ability to emulate perfection, like they are crafted from ‘angel dust,’ sets them apart in a way that defies explanation. 

Oh, oh, oh

Oh, oh, oh, oh

Oh, oh, oh, oh

Oh, oh, oh.

Olivia Rodrigo -“Lacy”

The tone is important to consider, not only for the bridge but for the whole song. Olivia sings this song with a complex mix of emotions ranging from jealousy, admiration, obsession, and longing. This song makes you feel this eerie jealousy that makes you feel like you’re going insane when attempting to justify it. This type of obsession makes you question if something is wrong with you. You continue asking yourself: How can someone who’s done no harm cause you so much internal pain?

Lacy, oh Lacy, it’s like you’re out to get me

You poison every little thing that I do

Lacy, oh Lacy, I just loathe you lately

And I despise my jealous eyes and how hard they fell for you

Yeah, I despise my rotten mind and how much it worships you.

Olivia Rodrigo-“Lacy”

Similar to how Olivia begins the song, she concludes it by echoing, “Lacy, oh, Lacy, ” to emphasize her longing and admiration for Lacy. In this outro, Olivia expresses her growing sense of victimization. Again, even though Lacy has not intentionally hurt you, you still feel that Lacy’s presence has had a negative impact on your life. 

The word “poison” implies that when you pursue something you enjoy, it feels like Lacy excels at it effortlessly. It is a terrible, gut-wrenching feeling. However, no matter how much you “loathe” or “despise” Lacy, you still admire them. You hate yourself for allowing your mind to consume these negative feelings. Olivia, including the word “worship,” reinforces the idea that Lacy still holds power over you despite the negative emotions.

It is impossible not to feel like this sometimes. If someone as beautiful and talented as the one and only Olivia Rodrigo thinks like this, it is proof that everyone feels like this from time to time, and it is a universal experience. 

Internally, you might always compare yourself to someone “better,” even if you don’t want to admit it. Rather than suppressing these feelings, it’s important to allow yourself to feel them and connect with others who share similar sentiments. Self-love is vital, but pretending that you don’t have moments of self-doubt isn’t healthy. Embrace your humanity and connect with others who understand.

How will you allow yourself to feel? Let us know @HerCampusSJSU.

hi! my name is ria and im a freshman at san jose state, majoring in psychology! I love exploring new things, spending time with loved ones, music, and of corse writing. hope you stay <3