Why You Should Join COF Dance Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

I recently took a positive risk, jumped outside of my comfort zone, and completed my first performance weekend with the Colleges of the Fenway (COF) Dance Project. Having played softball and soccer all my life and throughout high school, I had never had the opportunity, time, or the initiative to try dance.  When I first saw the COF Dance Project perform last year, I was surprised to see how much fun the students had and how relaxed the environment was. Many of the students that join the Dance Project have never danced prior to college. I performed in an entry-level ballet piece and hip-hop piece and I can honestly say that joining this group was one of the best decisions I have made so far at Simmons. Here’s why you should join the COF Dance Project next semester:

1) Literally any Simmons, Emmanuel, Wentworth, or MCPHS student can join!

2) You’ll meet lots of new people who are easy going!

3) It’s a great opportunity to try something new & step outside of your comfort zone.

4) Dancing is a fun way to get a great workout in.

5) It’s only one hour per/week per dance and three shows at the end of the semester …so it’s not a demanding time commitment at all.

6) The dances are taught by professional choreographers who are super cool and teach all different dance styles.

7) You get to perform in a real show on a real stage in front of a real audience!!

Hip Hop 1 after performing “iHuman,” a robotic mashup of Sevdaliza’s “Human” and Rihanna’s “Disturbia”

8) You join semester by semester, so it’s non-binding!

9) Fun resume booster and extracurricular to get involved in.

10) After your friends see your performance and how much fun you’re having, they’ll want to join in with you next semester! Being exposed to an array of different dance styles opened my eyes to the possibilities of this art form. There are so many different pieces to be a part of that there is a style for literally anyone. From African-contemporary to ballet, you’ll definitely find something that you’ll love! Check out this link to see some of the dance from this semester’s show! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEQNkYlSFejkEleDycl3zfPIONjyQoG9N

Abby Bowman

Simmons '20

Retail Management & Marketing Major