This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Deciding where to spend the next four years of our lives, while only seniors in high school, is one of the most stressful decisions of our adolescent lives. While some are fortunate to feel right at home at their school, others don’t find their dream school the first time around. I happen to be one of those people. I can’t say that I have found my dream school even after transferring, I think there’s a reason we call it a dream. However, I have found a wonderful place to pursue my passions and find friends to make the hard times less overwhelming. There are some obstacles that I had to overcome as a transfer and although I am currently happy with the way things turned out, it has been a hard transition, harder than I tend to let on. Here are a few tips for anyone thinking of transferring.

1. Orientation

For transfers, there was not much planned for us to do, there was not anything planned actually. We all ended up hanging out with each other which was fun, but it becomes frustrating after a couple days. I wanted to meet more people from the school but only freshmen were on campus and they were at an actual orientation all day. All I can say is to not let orientation get you down. You can meet some great transfers and explore the city or school for a week. Don’t let this get you thinking that this is how your whole year will go. It is also important to meet others who are outside of the transfer circle to make you feel a part of the community.

2. Friends

I consider myself to be a bubbly, charismatic and approachable person. Despite this, I found it challenging to find other girls with whom I could connect with. Since I only met other transfers at orientation, I felt on the outside for a while. I tried my best to change this and was starting to feel discouraged and a little lonely. I was told by someone close to me to not give up and go out of my way a little more. So, I did just this. My tip for anyone who ever feels discouraged or alone is to not give up trying. Find one person who you like and ask them to hangout. You may have to ask them a couple times until one day, they ask you. It’s overwhelming at first, sometimes exhausting, but saying yes to things you aren’t sure of can lead to many more “yes”s that you are excited for. One girl in particular helped me to meet others that I am now incredibly close with. Finally, just remember that it isn’t easy, but that’s okay!

3. Individuality

This is the time to be who you want to be. You got the “freshmenness” out of your system and get to start over. You know that time you made a fool of yourself in front of the upperclassmen? Good news! No one at your new school knows or cares! If you didn’t like your classes at your old school, take ones on the opposite side of the spectrum! It’s cool to find your passion. I studied biology and now I study web design and development, total opposites and yet, best decision of my life.

4. Clubs

On college tours this is something they repeat like a broken stereo. As a transfer, clubs were the biggest key to meeting others. I joined a Communications club and met incredible girls who were also in Her Campus. I really wanted to join but was hesitant because I don’t consider myself a writer, however, it has been a great decision. I was scared to publish anything, but over time, it has helped to push me outside of my comfort zone. Because of this, I have met others while trying something I normally wouldn’t do. Starting a new school, with a new major, I have had to rediscover what I enjoy. And as I said previously, this is the perfect time to do just that! Step outside of your comfort zone and you will be amazed at what you find.

5. Should You Transfer?

Each person is different. Sometimes the answer is clear as day whereas sometimes, the decision is incredibly challenging. My biggest piece of advice is to make the decision that is best for you and choose the school that will allow you to reach your full potential. In the end, you will make new friends, become adjusted to the school, etc. But how you succeed academically is varying; find the school that will allow you to prosper in what you love.

From the academics to the social scene, college is not an easy transition. I hope that you are able to find a place that allows you to grow into the person you want to be. Step outside of your comfort zone and try new things! You’ll be surprised at just how rewarding it can be.