This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

In 2017, I set my Goodreads reading challenge at 24 books in the year, and ended at 31. Inspired by my overachievement, I decided to up the ante even more, setting my 2018 goal at 50; two weeks shy of a book per week. I figured those two weeks can be saved for midterms, finals, or maybe just the next time a Sex and the City marathon comes on. 50 is still ambitious though, so I’ve been finding a lot of help around the Internet. If your bookish resolutions are as ambitious as mine, here’s some help I’ve found, along with my most recommended books, and what I’m most excited to put on my shelf this year.

Popsugar’s Ultimate Reading Challenge

My aunt tagged me on Facebook in the Popsugar 2018 reading challenge, and while I’m not sure I’m planning on rigidly sticking to it, I really like some of the prompts and the accompanying Goodreads group. There are 40 prompts, with 10 more for an “advanced” challenge. This is a really good list if your resolution is more to broaden your reading horizons. I’d never even heard of some of the genres they suggested, like cyberpunk. They also had some fun ones I’d like to try, like “a bestseller from the year you graduated high school,” “a book you meant to read in 2017 but never got to,” and “a book with a female author who used a male pseudonym.”

Emma Watson’s Our Shared Shelf

Boasting 208,007 members, Emma Watson created a feminist book club that recommends a new book every other month. Past books have included Hunger by Roxanne Gay, The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, and more feminist masterpieces. January/February’s book is Why I’m No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge, Watson’s pick after being criticized for being a “white feminist,” as she continues to teach herself about intersectionality.

My Favorite Reads of 2017

Some of my favorites I read in 2017:

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

As the daughter of a meth dealer, Wavy knows not to trust people, not even her own parents. Struggling to raise her little brother, eight-year-old Wavy is the only responsible “adult” around. She finds peace in the starry Midwestern night sky above the fields behind her house. One night everything changes when she witnesses one of her father’s thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold, wreck his motorcycle. What follows is a powerful and shocking love story between two unlikely people that asks tough questions, reminding us of all the ugly and wonderful things that life has to offer.

Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002 by David Sedaris

For forty years, David Sedaris has kept a diary in which he records everything that captures his attention-overheard comments, salacious gossip, soap opera plot twists, secrets confided by total strangers. These observations are the source code for his finest work, and through them he has honed his cunning, surprising sentences.

Now, Sedaris shares his private writings with the world. Theft by Finding, the first of two volumes, is the story of how a drug-abusing dropout with a weakness for the International House of Pancakes and a chronic inability to hold down a real job became one of the funniest people on the planet.

Written with a sharp eye and ear for the bizarre, the beautiful, and the uncomfortable, and with a generosity of spirit that even a misanthropic sense of humor can’t fully disguise, Theft By Finding proves that Sedaris is one of our great modern observers. It’s a potent reminder that when you’re as perceptive and curious as Sedaris, there’s no such thing as a boring day.

All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

Like the spellbinding psychological suspense in The Girl on the Train and Luckiest Girl Alive, Megan Miranda’s novel is a nail-biting, breathtaking story about the disappearances of two young women—a decade apart—told in reverse.

It’s been ten years since Nicolette Farrell left her rural hometown after her best friend, Corinne, disappeared from Cooley Ridge without a trace. Back again to tie up loose ends and care for her ailing father, Nic is soon plunged into a shocking drama that reawakens Corinne’s case and breaks open old wounds long since stitched.

The decade-old investigation focused on Nic, her brother Daniel, boyfriend Tyler, and Corinne’s boyfriend Jackson. Since then, only Nic has left Cooley Ridge. Daniel and his wife, Laura, are expecting a baby; Jackson works at the town bar; and Tyler is dating Annaleise Carter, Nic’s younger neighbor and the group’s alibi the night Corinne disappeared. Then, within days of Nic’s return, Annaleise goes missing.

Told backwards—Day 15 to Day 1—from the time Annaleise goes missing, Nic works to unravel the truth about her younger neighbor’s disappearance, revealing shocking truths about her friends, her family, and what really happened to Corinne that night ten years ago.

Like nothing you’ve ever read before, All the Missing Girls delivers in all the right ways. With twists and turns that lead down dark alleys and dead ends, you may think you’re walking a familiar path, but then Megan Miranda turns it all upside down and inside out and leaves us wondering just how far we would be willing to go to protect those we love.

I Was Told There’d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

From despoiling an exhibit at the Natural History Museum to provoking the ire of her first boss to siccing the cops on her mysterious neighbor, Crosley can do no right despite the best of intentions — or perhaps because of them. Together, these essays create a startlingly funny and revealing portrait of a complex and utterly recognizable character who aims for the stars but hits the ceiling, and the inimitable city that has helped shape who she is. I Was Told There’d Be Cake introduces a strikingly original voice, chronicling the struggles and unexpected beauty of modern urban life.

We Are Never Meeting In Real Life. by Samantha Irby

Sometimes you just have to laugh, even when life is a dumpster fire. With We Are Never Meeting in Real Life., “bitches gotta eat” blogger and comedian Samantha Irby turns the serio-comic essay into an art form. Whether talking about how her difficult childhood has led to a problem in making “adult” budgets, explaining why she should be the new Bachelorette–she’s “35-ish, but could easily pass for 60-something”–detailing a disastrous pilgrimage-slash-romantic-vacation to Nashville to scatter her estranged father’s ashes, sharing awkward sexual encounters, or dispensing advice on how to navigate friendships with former drinking buddies who are now suburban moms–hang in there for the Costco loot–she’s as deft at poking fun at the ghosts of her past self as she is at capturing powerful emotional truths.

Books I’m Looking Forward to Reading in 2018:

Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff

The first nine months of Donald Trump’s term were stormy, outrageous—and absolutely mesmerizing. Now, thanks to his deep access to the West Wing, bestselling author Michael Wolff tells the riveting story of how Trump launched a tenure as volatile and fiery as the man himself.

In this explosive book, Wolff provides a wealth of new details about the chaos in the Oval Office. Among the revelations:

— What President Trump’s staff really thinks of him

— What inspired Trump to claim he was wire-tapped by President Obama

— Why FBI director James Comey was really fired

— Why chief strategist Steve Bannon and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner couldn’t be in the same room

— Who is really directing the Trump administration’s strategy in the wake of Bannon’s firing

— What the secret to communicating with Trump is

— What the Trump administration has in common with the movie The Producers

Never before has a presidency so divided the American people. Brilliantly reported and astoundingly fresh, Michael Wolff’s Fire and Fury shows us how and why Donald Trump has become the king of discord and disunion.

Released: 5 January 2017

Look Alive Out There by Sloane Crosley

From the New York Times-bestselling author Sloane Crosley comes Look Alive Out There―a brand-new collection of essays filled with her trademark hilarity, wit, and charm. The characteristic heart and punch-packing observations are back, but with a newfound coat of maturity. A thin coat. More of a blazer, really.

Fans of I Was Told There’d Be Cake and How Did You Get This Number know Sloane Crosley’s life as a series of relatable but madcap misadventures. In Look Alive Out There, whether it’s scaling active volcanoes, crashing shivas, playing herself on Gossip Girl, befriending swingers, or staring down the barrel of the fertility gun, Crosley continues to rise to the occasion with unmatchable nerve and electric one-liners. And as her subjects become more serious, her essays deliver not just laughs but lasting emotional heft and insight. Crosley has taken up the gauntlets thrown by her predecessors―Dorothy Parker, Nora Ephron, David Sedaris―and crafted something rare, affecting, and true.

Look Alive Out There arrives on the tenth anniversary of I Was Told There’d be Cake, and Crosley’s essays have managed to grow simultaneously more sophisticated and even funnier. And yet she’s still very much herself, and it’s great to have her back―and not a moment too soon (or late, for that matter).

Expected release date: 3 April, 2018

The Anatomy of an Adult: A Humorous Guide to Growing Pains and Growing Up by Mari Andrew

Mari Andrew started doodling when she worked at a bakery–she took some license with the display case labels. When customers noticed and began telling her the drawings brightened their days, Mari realized she could use that hobby to connect with people. She hit a professional rough patch in her late 20s and began to chronicle her work on Instagram. Nearly overnight, she became a sensation. Now when Mari Andrew posts something new, the Internet rejoices.

This book is organized by universal themes of becoming an adult–for example, loss, adventure, ambition. Within each chapter, Mari shares her personal experiences in never-before-seen essays, accompanied by spreads of her signature illustrations, 90 percent of which are brand new. Readers are bound to see some of themselves in this book, whether seeking advice on how to handle growing up, or just looking for a friend who can commiserate.

All photos and book descriptions courtesy of Goodreads.

Header image courtesy of The Page Worm.

Senior Editor at Her Campus Simmons