How to Switch Up Classic Thanksgiving Dishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Thanksgiving, though rooted in problematic and often mistold history, is a great holiday when it comes to food. Anything involving a copious amount of potatoes is great, in my opinion. I love having a whole day practically dedicated to food and cooking, but let’s be honest—it can be a bit boring sometimes.

With the same awful green bean casserole your aunt brings and your token vegan cousin not having anything to eat other than the mashed sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce, there’s a ton of room for improvement. Whether you’re celebrating with family, friends, or on your own, here are some great ways to switch it up this year!

Swap out a dish

No one said you had to have green bean casserole or peas at Thanksgiving…and honestly, you can do way better. There are endless possibilities when it comes to vegetable-forward side dishes, but I love this Squash and Radicchio salad recipe that keeps the traditional feel of Thanksgiving, but brightens it up a bit!

Image from Bon Appétit

Switch up the flavors

Classic Thanksgiving flavors include things like cinnamon, nutmeg, sage, thyme, rosemary, and oftentimes citrus as well. The seasoning you use can completely change the way your dishes taste, and are different enough that you’ll have some variety, without straying too far from the traditional dish. TBH, I couldn’t narrow it down between the Rosemary Apricot Glazed Turkey and this Maple Cider Glazed Turkey, so it’s your pick!

Image from A Family Feast

Same ingredients, different way

I’ll say it: sometimes you get tired of mashed potatoes. Wild. But that doesn’t mean you have to take potatoes off the dinner table altogether! Try preparing your potatoes in a different way, like all crispy and roasted (drooling, seriously).

Image from The Girl Who Ate Everything

Try different regional recipes

Thanksgiving is an American holiday, but it can also be an opportunity to celebrate your heritage in another way. For example, my family is German, so we’ll often make Butterkuchen around Thanksgiving (for real, it’s so good). Find something that makes sense for your family!

Image from Pixabay

Combine your faves!

Can’t decide between pumpkin and pecan pie? You don’t have to! Try this Pecan Rye Pumpkin Pie that gives you the best of both worlds.

Image from Bon Appétit

Junior at Simmons University studying Communications, Graphic Design, and Cinema Studies // HC Video Director // Fandom geek and cooking enthusiast
Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen