Dorm Hacks: How To Make the Most Out Of a Tiny Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Happy move in! It’s that time of year again, and while freshman may be facing this for the first time, the truth is EVERYONE has struggled with space in their dorm rooms at one point or another. Whether you’re in a forced triple, a double, a suite or a single, here are some tips to maximize the space in your dorm room.

1. Don’t bring more than you need!!

My biggest advice for incoming freshman and returning students is to only bring the essentials. It may be tempting to bring all the comforts of home, but your dorm room will likely be much smaller than what you’re used to. If you stick to this rule, keeping your space tidy and organized will be a breeze!

2. Think vertical with bed risers and under-bed storage

The best way to make the most of your space is to think vertically! I recommend buying tall bed risers so that you can fit as much as possible in the space. Your bed will be a little taller than you’re used to, but you’ll be able to fit drawers or bins in the space that can hold tons of clothes, shoes or other items!

3. Drawer Dividers can turn one drawer into two!

Simmons gives each student a dresser, so to make the most of that space, I recommend buying drawer organizers. These can be found at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond right in the Fenway area for a pretty low price! Drawer organizers can turn one drawer into two or more, and is a great way to maximize the space in those dressers.

4. Use a mattress caddy to store your bedside items

Mattress Caddies are especially great for people using bunked or lofted beds, but can benefit anyone! They hang off the side of your bed and can store all your usual bedside favorites- from water to chapstick, a face mask, a box of tissues and even more! Since you won’t have a bedside table, this is a great place to store these items, and it saves space.

5. Hanging closet organizers can save you valuable space

Since you’ll most likely be sharing a closet, you’ll definitely need a storage hack to fit all your favorites from home! These can be purchased almost anywhere that you can find dorm goods, and they are so helpful. There are different variations depending on the type of storage you’re looking for, so do some research to make sure you’re getting the one you need.

6. Hooks

Need a space for your towels, purse or backpack? Hooks are a great way to get these important items off the ground or out of drawers, and puts them in an easy to reach place for when you’re in a rush. Make sure to use command hooks for the best deal and the easiest clean up at the end of the year!

7. Desk organizers

Simmons desks are a pretty good size, but with all the school supplies you’ll need, it’ll be important to save some space. Desk organizers are perfect for this and come in many different varieties to fit your needs! This is great because all your essentials will be right where you need them and easy to grab on your way out the door!

With these tips and tricks, you’ll be sure to make the most of your space and also feel like you have all the comforts of home! The items mentioned can all be found at the Fenway Target or Bed Bath and Beyond in the Landmark Center.