This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Hi everyone!

Hope you’ve all had a great two weeks. This week I received a submission from someone who goes by Cohabitation Commitmentphobe. That’s quite a name, Cohabitation.

Cohabitation writes: “Hi Andi- I’m trying to decide when I want to move in with my boyfriend. We’ve been together 6 months, and I know when both of our leases are up at the end of the year, it would be a lot easier for us to move in together. I’m afraid to mention it though, and am worried it’s too soon. How long is long enough before moving in together?”

Well Cohabitation, this is a stressful situation indeed. I have a few pieces of advice for you though.

1. One can really never know the correct time to move in with your partner. I have a friend who moved in with her partner after 3 months together and they’re doing fantastic and just reached 9 months. Yet, I have another friend who moved in with her partner after 2 and a half years and they’re doing well. It honestly depends on the relationship. A survey done by Rent.com in 2015 reported that 37% of couples moved in together after 6 months to a year. It’s possible!!

2. You mentioned how you haven’t been together all that long, yet do you feel you and your boyfriend mesh together well enough to live together? Consider his habits, especially ones that may bug you. Those will amplify once living together. If you are able to tolerate it, you’re in the clear!

3. I know you’re scared but if you’re seriously considering this, you really should try bringing the idea of moving in up. Just see how he reacts. Whether he’s freaked out or takes it positively, you’ll know how he feels about the idea.

At the end of the day, do what your heart is telling you. As cheesy as that sounds, that’s how I make decisions when I am being indecisive. Best of luck to you, Cohabitation and if you have something you need advice on send it here.