This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

TW: Active shooter situation

Hi all!

I thought I would take this article and reflect not only on the stress of midterms but something I am also working on. As most of you know, we had a scary event a few weeks ago. The Simmons Academic and Residential campus as well as the surrounding schools, hospitals and museums went into lockdown following reports of shots fired on Avenue Louis Pasteur. I am not going to retell the event in detail as it may be triggering to others but after around 40 minutes to 2 hours of lockdown, depending on where you were on Academic campus, the situation was deemed safe.

As we later found out, the situation was caused by a student thinking that the sound of balloons popping at Boston Latin. Most of my peers and I as well were traumatized by the event and felt invalidated of our feelings due to the fact it was just balloons.

But you are valid in your opinions.  

I am validating you right now.

Here are some tips from me to you on how to begin recovering.

1. Talk to people, don’t bottle it up.

2. If you don’t want to talk to friends, talk to a therapist. The number for the Simmons Counseling Center is 617-521-2455

3. Take some time for self care.

4. Remember to validate yourself and your peers who are affected as well.

Much love,

Andi

To submit a story/situation, click here (https://goo.gl/forms/9KSXus6jDbTlj8fM2) .