This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

It’s October and for many of our immune systems it feels like the end of the world is near! Students are feeling the stress of mid-semester projects, making holiday plans and wondering why it is boiling in the dorms but freezing outside. Many of us forget to take care of ourselves during this time of year. I myself have been away from home for two years and still struggle to properly monitor my own health. The purpose of this article is to serve as a friendly reminder to take care of yourself during this hectic time.

#5 Get Your Flu Shot

For those of you who want to get your flu shot, I recommend you get on it soon. During my Freshman year, I was far from home and was unaware of all the resources available to me. This year, I made sure to do more research and have compiled a list of resources accessible to Simmons Students:

Target Pharmacy: Anyone can go to the Pharmacy at Target and get their flu shot. It can take a little while for them to get the vaccine ready, but everyone who gets their flu shot receives a five dollar gift card! This is the resource I used.

CVS/Walgreens: Similarly to Target, both these Pharmacys offer walk-in appointments for flu shots. CVS also gives any recipient a coupon for five dollars off the next twenty-five dollars you spend.

Simmons Health Center: Simmons students can make appointments with the health office to receive their flu shot. This option requires some pre-planning because there are specific times they give out vaccinations.

Simmons Events: The Simmons Nursing department holds annual events which provide students with free flu shots. Their next clinic should is scheduled for November 4th in the Main College Building. Keep your eyes peeled for upcoming announcements!

#4 Use The Health Center

As college students it feels like our only free time comes during the weekend. Unfortunately, that is when the health center is closed! I realize the challenge of scheduling an appointment during the week, but it can save you a lot of misery in the long run. As soon as feel like you are getting sick, make an appointment! It is better to get diagnosed early rather than drag on with symptoms for weeks on end. The health center can also help provide notes for professors if you are seriously ill or injured.

#3 Get Enough Sleep

I will be the first to admit that I do not get enough sleep. Most of the time I am going to bed in the wee hours of the morning and only getting a couple hours of shut eye. Changing your sleeping habits can be very challenging, so I recommend that you start small. Try going to bed a little bit earlier each night or add a nap to your daily schedule. There are so many small things you can do to make sure you are getting enough sleep.

#2 Make Time For Friends

Make time for your friends! It is easy to become swept up in school work, but taking time everyday to hang out with people you care about is more important than you think. Set aside time to eat meals together or study with each other at the library; having this daily interaction will help your mood. Also, do not be afraid to depend on friends when you are sick or have a medical emergency. Of course it is important to utilise health professionals, but your friends can also be a great resource. Ask them to help you get to the doctors or pick you up some soup. The people around you care and want you to be healthy!

#1 WASH YOUR HANDS!

It is a terrifying experience when you are in the bathroom and hear a toilet flush but no sink running afterwards. Washing your hands is the easiest thing you can do to keep yourself and those around you healthy. Between academic and residential campus, students are touching many doorknobs, sharing spaces and are generally getting up in each other’s business. Please make sure you are regularly washing your hands, especially before eating and after using the bathroom.

Amanda Perry is a Junior at Simmons studying English and Communications. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found looking at cat photos, reading, cooking, binge-watching Netflix or being goofy with friends. She is still recovering from the final season of Game of Thrones and is always on the search for the next great TV series.
Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen