Thoughts of a Senior Year College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Alright friends, things are about to get real sappy.

They are right when they tell you these four years are going to fly. Believe me it is easy to look back and wish you had done so much more with this time. You have to own it; own what you did and own how you have changed. However you have spent the past few years, nothing compares to how you will spend the last year of college.

1. Senioritis is definitely a thing.

Most of my friends and I are taking electives and the classes do not require as much work. The classes that do, they take priority but you begin to care less and less about grades as long as you pass. This may not be true for everyone, but for me you realize so much more matters than just grades.

2. Welcoming adulthood is bittersweet.

It is exciting finishing college, but there is so much to decide after you graduate. Finding an apartment and a job is scary. Loans are scary. Bills are scary. They say you enter adulthood at age 18, but graduating college is when it sets in. I am thrilled for the next steps, but the amount of choices to decide is a bit overwhelming.

3. You will realize how amazing your friends are.

Your friends in college turn into family. These are the people you have spent four years eating meals with, crying with, getting ready with, planning trips with, laughing with, fighting with, and growing with. Everything you did with your family at home, but away from home. I do not think I realized how special the relationships I built in college were until senior year. It is hard to come to terms with the fact that you all will take separate paths after graduation.

4. You will realize how different you are now.

The amount that I have grown within these four years is tremendous. College is about “education,” but in my opinion it is about growth. It’s about finding yourself and figuring out who you are and who you want to become. I really have grown. I have matured and I feel more secure with myself. I have an open mind and I view the world so differently now. It makes me eager for the future because I know how much more I can grow.

5. Live it up.

I’m serious. This is the last time that you can make mistakes and ignore adulthood. Of course, take school seriously so that you can graduate and find a job, but do not let it hold you back. Stop thinking about what others want, and do what you want to do. Do something that you may not normally do. Go to as many events as you can and spend as much time with your friends as possible.

College is fun, but senior year is unforgettable. I wish I could do it all again, so enjoy it while you can before you throw that cap in the air.  

Julia Parks is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.