This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Classes, or school in general, has been transformed by the recent pandemic, leaving students worrying about assignments, exams, hygenie, and who they come into contact with on a day-to-day basis. This can be stressful when managing all these factors all at once.

group studying
Photo by Marvin Meyer from Unsplash
One of the main things I tend to focus on the most is keeping up my motivation, even though it can be extremely difficult when there is not much else to do other than school work. Some things that I do to manage is to either go to the gym or take a walk to clear my head before returning to studying or completing an assignment. Having mostly online classes can also be challenging to deal with due to not having a set schedule of when you will return to in-person or if your class will return as a hybrid class. Being almost two months into college and not having a strict routine can make time managing nearly impossible. Also, many professors are choosing to hold in-person exams, as well as, online, so it can be tricky mapping out all the time slots and when you need to be prepared for the next exam. 

Another concept about the current times that I tend to think about a lot is physical health. Being in a pandemic and constantly being in the unknown can give students many worries on top of our normal stressors. Washing hands, wearing masks, and sanitizing surfaces that are used often are the only things we can do. The rest is up to others around us to take control of what is going on in our near environment. Walking around campus seems very different: not seeing friends – due to the spaced out time slots – and just an overall emptiness on campus is not necessarily what we all were hoping for, but it did feel nice being back on campus after a very long summer.

Photo by Vera Davidova on Unsplash
Now all we can do is protect ourselves and those around us while keeping a positive mindset about what is to come. Stay strong and stay safe!

Magen Fortin is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied Health Studies/Health Sciences at her time at Siena.