Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Playlist Everyone Needs for Every Stage of a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Break ups are tough, don’t we all know it. But now is not the time to break out the sad song played on the world’s smallest violin…or at least not quite. While sad music may seem like the cure for all our breakup sorrows, there are other emotions we go through during a breakup that music can also help us cope with. I’ve gathered up a list of songs for the six stages of a breakup so you’re not constantly suffering through sad boi hours.

Gif Source

Stage One: Denial

No one wants to accept that their fairytale happily ever after has finally ended, and probably not too happily. During this stage, you might not understand where it all went wrong. You might feel stupid for not seeing it sooner, or for thinking you could make it work, so it’s important to not feel like you’re alone in feeling this way. These songs will show you across various situations, similar or different to your own, of people who have also had a hard time believing their love stories are really over:

Relapse by Carrie Underwood

I hate you, I love you by Gnash

Stay with me by Sam Smith

Say something by A Great Big World

Fire and Rain by James Taylor

Stage Two: Anger

By now, you understand that your relationship is officially over, and you’re probably pissed about it. Maybe your ex broke up with you, maybe he treated you poorly during your relationship, or maybe they aren’t as upset as you are. For whatever reason, you’re fueled with rage. Conveniently, many people have felt the same way and even wrote songs about it! Here’s a list of the songs that make us feel like it’s okay to act insanely rash and crazy:

U + UR Hand by P!nk

Do re mi by Blackbear

Undo it by Carrie Underwood

Picture to Burn by Taylor swift

FU by Miley Cyrus

Black Widow by Iggy Azalea

Stage Three: Sadness

Ahhh yes, the stage we’re all most familiar with that with that we believe will last forever and ever (and ever and ever etc). Fortunately, there’s still three more steps after this one so fear not! You will get through this seemingly never-ending grief. In the meantime, here are some songs to get you in your feels till you’re sick of them:

River of tears by Alessia Cara

Because of you by Kelly Clarkson

It will rain by Bruno Mars

Need you now by Lady Antebellum

I Fall apart by Post Malone

Jar of Hearts by Christina Perry

Die of A broken heart by Maddie and Tae

(This list is never ending as it is apparently a very popular motivation for iconic songwriting)

Stage Four: Jealousy/ Competitiveness

You’ve made it through the sad stage! Woohoo! But you’re not quite through the wringer yet. You’ve only just convinced yourself that your “fine,” which we all know never means you’re fine. Stalking your ex on all forms of social media, keeping on the lookout for other girls they’re with, going out and posting with the intent of making them jealous? Not the top-ranking examples under the definition of “fine.” But here are some songs that will make you feel like they are:

Rumor has it by Adele

Before he Cheats by Carrie Underwood (clearly Carrie is your girl for all your breakup needs)

Hot Girl Bummer by Blackbear

Girl Crush by Little Big Town

Stage Five: Apathy

This is probably the worst stage of all. At this point, you’ve given up on feeling anything that all. You no longer care about whether you look like you’re fine, because you know that you’re not. You don’t even understand why people get into relationships anyway because of all the pain you risk suffering, and you don’t want to feel the way that you do. And yet somehow, that’s still a definable feeling. I may not be good at explaining it, but thankfully these songs do a much better than I do:

Someone you loved by Lewis Capaldi

Amnesia by 5 Seconds of Summer

The Lonely by Christina Perry

Nobody’s home by Avril Lavigne

Sorry by Halsey

Stage Six, The Final Stage: Acceptance and Moving On

Congratulations! You’ve finally come to the realization that you don’t need your ex! And what a glorious time this is. You finally start to feel like you again. You understand, or are beginning to understand, that for whatever reason, they weren’t meant to be your happily ever after. Whatever, you’re too good for them anyway 😉. These songs will tell you all about reclaiming your independence like a boss:

Since You’ve Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson

Irreplaceable by Beyoncé

Shout Out to My Ex by Little Mix

Big Girls Don’t Cry by Fergie

You Don’t Do it for Me Anymore by Demi Lovato

Going through a break up is one heck of an emotional rollercoaster. Music is the perfect outlet to help get us through the ride, especially since it’s one you’ll probably go through again and again (we hate to see it). However, you’re much stronger because of it, and less likely to fall for someone who will hurt you in the same way. And that makes you one step closer to never needing this playlist ever again.

Samantha Fazio is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.