This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Looking for something to pass the time, or simply enjoy doing this year? Below are a few ideas for a hobby to take on and maybe even love!

Painting

One way to begin a hobby in painting is to purchase some cheap supplies and explore certain designs that interest you. Designs could include abstract, landscape, and portraits. Another idea to consider is what type of paint would you use: watercolor, pastel, acrylic, etc. There are numerous ways of painting but expressing creativity through art is particularly rewarding since you can keep or gift your end result.

Plant Mom

This is certainly one hobby that I have pushed my limits on. I own 10+ plants and the number is growing. There is something that is rewarding about being a plant mom. Maybe it’s watching something grow and blossom over time. One thing that I would mention to beginners is to research which plants don’t need a lot of maintenance, then when you’re comfortable exploring more exotic and high maintenance plants. My first plant was a pothos and they grow in vines and do not need much care other than watering every week. Here are some tips for taking care of your own pothos. 

Scrapbooking Memories

Keeping track of memories is not only a way of storing certain memorabilia, it is also a way of remembering your favorite events, or just events that occurred in your daily life. Starting with a photo album, adding stickers, and then a little saying is a few beginning steps of scrapbook making. I personally have been putting pictures in one of my scrapbooks since 2015 and it is amazing to see how much people have grown and the events that I participated in. A website that I like to shop for most stickers and scrapbook items is Michaels

Jewelry Making 

For the intricate individual, jewelry making could be the perfect fit for you. This project takes time and the ability to put certain jewelry pieces together that give a handmade feel to it. Some steps taken in the process of making a ring, for example, could include a malleable wire and some beads that can be threaded through the wire and then molded to fit the individual’s finger. Some supplies can be found at Walmart for very affordable prices or Jewelry Supply Co.

I hope you choose to try one of these new hobbies or think of your own this year!

Magen Fortin is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied Health Studies/Health Sciences at her time at Siena.