Necessary Items to Keep with You as You Travel Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

As COVID-19 is raging across the country, it’s essential for students to be as safe as possible while traveling home for the holidays. As many schools around here are closing after the Thanksgiving holiday, many of us will be traveling back home for the extended break. Whether you live an hour away or nine hours away like me, these are some essential items to keep on your at all times during your travels.

Hand Sanitizer

If you’re not traveling home in your own car or your parents car, it’s important to sanitize you seating area when you first arrive on the plane, train, or bus. And even if you are traveling by car, hand sanitizer is an essential item to have. Every time you use the restroom, stop at a gas station, or touch an area that isn’t yours, sanitize your hands.

Mask

Most states still have mandates, but making sure you have a few on you at all times will make sure you are safe, following the rules, and protecting yourself and others.

Cash

This is a definite go to. Even if you usually only carry your debit card, it’s always a good idea to have a little cash on you while you travel. You never know if you’re going to break down, if computer systems will always be working, or something. So having cash on you, even if it’s only $20-$50, it helps a lot.

Snacks

Rest stops, train snack bars, airport anything are always super expensive. Travel with some of your favorite chips, pretzels, or granola bars to eat when you get hungry and save yourself some money.

Phone Chargers/Portable Chargers

Making sure you phone is always charged is important, especially if you are traveling alone. You never know if you’re going to have to make a phone call or get directions when you’re lost, so keeping chargers on you is essential.

Making sure you have the right things with you while traveling can be stressful. We are prone to forget things, so make a list and make sure you are safe while traveling this holiday season!

Alyssa Guzman is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she Double Majored in English and Communications Journalism with a minor in Writing and Communications.