bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

If the Kardashians Endorse It, Don’t Do It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

“I want to lose three pounds” – famous words by Regina George.

The question is how worth it is the cranberry juice cleanse to get rid of those three pounds?

Gif Source 

Here’s the thing about dieting as a millennial: all these diet fads are out there on the internet. They’re hyper-glamorized with our favorite celebrities endorsing them as well as all the ads online. The Kardashians are big advocates for these detox teas as well as gluten and dairy-free diets. The reality of diet trends is hidden through different marketing methods. If any teenager or twenty-something girl could argue the science behind the diet, perhaps the results would be more believable. Some of the worst trends are diets which guarantee almost immediate weight loss along with to-die-for bikini body results. Fads are something to be avoided, especially if you’re the kind of girl who has long days jam-packed with classes or work.

Gif Source

Fad diets are a kind of diet which is short-lived and promises immediate results. The main fad diets heard about in the recent year are the paleo, keto, juice cleanse, cabbage soup and detox tea diets. Out of the six diets, five require cutting out an entire food group: carbohydrates. Sure, an overload of carbs can cause anyone to gain a few pounds here and there. However, cutting them out completely can mess up your diet or metabolism more. Carbs are an important source in fueling you for your day and for energy before workouts. If this source of energy is removed, getting through the day is going to be a battle. Taking away a food group abruptly in its entirety is enough to throw off your body. The problem with juice, tea and soup cleanses then arises. If taking away one food group is enough to put your body into some form of shock, taking away all food groups entirely is going to elevate that state of shock. 

Gif Source

The thing most girls do not know about these fad diets is when meals or skipped or food is taken away altogether, your metabolism will slow down. Instead of losing those few unwanted pounds, you’ll end up gaining a few more unwanted pounds. Let’s just say, if Kim Kardashian endorses it, it probably doesn’t work.

Dieting and healthy eating isn’t bad at all. However, there are better ways to achieve healthy eating and dieting than going to extreme measures. If you plan on cutting out a particular food, start taking it out of your diet slowly. The other thing is, if you’re ever craving that cheeseburger and fries, don’t be afraid to eat them. Everything in moderation is the key to a healthy lifestyle. 

Gif Source

Miranda Almodavar is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied Creative Arts during her time at Siena.