This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Walking sounds pretty simple. It’s an everyday task that people don’t even think about. I have always been an active person. I played several sports growing up such as softball, basketball, and tennis. When covid first started, I was bored inside my house and didn’t have the motivation to workout. When my mom suggested I try going for a walk, I thought it was a silly idea. However, I decided to try it and I’m so glad I did because it drastically improved my mental health and became my favorite hobby. Taking long walks became a popular activity during the pandemic and people began to refer to them as “Hot Girl Walks.” In this article I will list reasons why you should start walking daily for your physical and mental health.

meditative experience

Going for walks, specifically outside can be extremely meditative and helps to clear your mind from your tasks and responsibilities. For the amount of time you walk, whether that be 30 minutes or two hours, you can focus on the nature around you and breathe. You can even do meditation exercises such as focusing on the sounds and smells around you. Walking is a great way to practice mindfulness.

Podcasts and music

Another reason why you should start going for walks is to catch up on podcasts and music. There are several interesting podcasts to listen to on your walk for all interests such as news, politics, true crime, comedy, sports, and more. You can also listen to motivational music for a fast walk or relaxing, chill music for a meditative walk.

Physical health

Walking is a great form of cardiovascular exercise. There are several health benefits such as reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and more. Walking boosts your metabolism and improves your balance.

Mental health

Walking can reduce stress and improve your mood due to the release of endorphins. It also increases self confidence. Going for walks is not only a good form of exercise but it is also self care. You are doing something good for your body and mind.

Michelle Harris is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Marketing during her time at Siena.