How to Survive a Mid-Semester Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

We’re all way too familiar with mid-semester crises. It’s that time of the semester, with piles of assignments to finish and studying to do, we start to question our existence. How am I going to get all this work done? Why are all my exams on the same day? Why did I choose this as my major? Is this even what I want to do for the rest of my life? Why am I even in college? And then we begin to seriously contemplate dropping out and becoming strippers because we have lost direction in our lives. 

Do not worry, you don’t need to drop out of college. Here’s how to survive your mid-semester crisis.

1. Relax.

Sometimes when we have so much work piled up, we completely forget to take some time for ourselves. Find a way that will help you relax, and most importantly take your mind off your freak-out for a little while. Do something as simple as watching some TV or reading a book for fun, or even go to some of the free yoga classes that Siena offers. By forcing yourself to take a minute to relax, you will feel rejuvinated and be able to move on.

2. Take it day by day.

If you are feeling like you have a lot to do, instead of making a list of every little thing you eventually have to get done, break it all down instead. Make smaller, more manageable lists for each day so that you get everything done but don’t feel like you have to do it all at once.

3. Don’t second guess yourself.

You are going to college because you earned your way there with your hard work, so don’t think that you are unable to handle what college throws at you. Remind yourself that you are there for a reason and you are capable of doing anything. If you are questioning your major, thinking that you won’t be able to do it or it’s too hard for you, remember that if you are determined enough you can accomplish anything. Think about the reason why you chose your major and what you can do with your knowledge in the future– one day, you might be a lawyer or a doctor or anything you want, so all your work will be worth it.

4. Be grateful for your oppportunities.

We all know that college can be endlessly stressful, and sometimes we all don’t want to even be here at all. But think about how lucky you are to be able to recieve this education, be able to go to a school and learn about things that you love, and to one day get whatever job you want. Sometimes thinking about your opportunities and putting it all in perspective can really make your hard work worth it.

Good luck collegiettes, and hopefully we’ve helped you lower your crisis-induced heart rate at least a little bit.

Emma Burkard is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English and also minored in Writing and Communications.