How To Stay Healthy At The Dining Hall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Back to school means back to dining hall eating, and sometimes the dining hall options are not healthy. So, in order to keep yourself looking and feeling healthy, follow these four simple steps.

1. Drink water with lemon or fruit once a day. Flavored water is a refreshing treat, and you will be able to enjoy a tasty treat once your water is finished and your fruit is left over.

2. Portion Control: if you are unsure what should and shouldn’t be on your plate, don’t forget to have a plate half full of vegetables, one fourth protein and one fourth starch. Eating healthy isn’t difficult if you are mindful of what should be on your plate.

3. Avoid eating food that is not fresh or is fried, unless it’s a cheat day. It’s okay to treat yourself every once in a while to a slice of pizza, fries and grilled cheese, but not every day. Think about the type of food you are putting into your body before putting it on your plate.

4. Always eat breakfast! Your mom wasn’t lying when she told you as a young child that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Oatmeal, eggs, cereal with fruit, and a bagel with peanut butter are all healthy options to fuel you up for a long day of studying and classes.

Nora Gleason is a Siena College Class of 2016 alumna. She studied Creative Arts during her time at Siena.