This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Ever feel really stressed? Or can’t quite place where the feeling is coming from, making it impossible to figure out how to stop it?

Although college life isn’t exactly the most calm and easy one to live, there are plenty of things that you can do to get rid of the stress in your life. One of the main things that has been able to help me out is organization. 

Many aspects of your life can be “organized.” You can organize plans, your room, your phone, and more but besides wasting a bunch of time cleaning all of those things up, what can it do for you?

The act of organizing can be a relaxing experience; putting everything in place tends to reduce stress and create a feeling of peace. This no-stress feeling is highly sought after by busy college students who have little time to sleep or just do the things they enjoy. 

That being said, here is a list of things you can organize to help you feel less stressed:

Book Shelves/Binders/Workbooks

A lot of the time the things that stress us out are the things we use most in our lives. By organizing things around you–or just things you use everyday. By clearing up spaces that you know cause stress in your daily life, you reduce these feelings.

person looking at their phone while working on a laptop
Photo by Christina Morillo from Unsplash

Phone/Laptops/Tablets

Those 30,000 emails piling up? The group chat you haven’t checked in three days? Another section which I mentioned earlier is electronic devices. 

By organizing, deleting, and moving things around in your electronic devices, people tend to get the same effect as if they were just re-organizing their binder or books as previously mentioned.   

Cleaning Your Room

Ugh…the obvious one. The clothes from last friday’s Covid-friendly outing have now turned six days old.

Your room is an important part of feeling calm. Although it’s annoying to do, it usually takes about 10-15 minutes and can seriously reduce that stress. Doing work in a clean room, maybe with an oil diffuser going or freshly cleaned sheets, is much more enjoyable than balancing your laptop on the nest you made out of blankets. Trust me.

Image of a planner
Photo by Stil Classics from Unsplash

Plans

Feeling stressed about plans? Making a list of what you need to do for the day, week, or even month can really help put things into perspective. When I’m feeling stressed, I’ll organize my planner, and put my daily tasks on a sticky note so I can cross them off when I’m done. 

Conclusion

Doing small things tends to make the bigger things less daunting. By making small changes in your daily schedule, you can reduce all the tiny out of control aspects in order to tackle the actual things you need to get done. 

Finals are coming up, be prepared!

Elissa Meise studied at Siena College in 2020. She studied English during her time at Siena.