samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Build Solid Relationships With Your Professors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

We all know the feeling. The first day of classes, your professor walks into the room and you immediately try to gauge what kind of professor they’ll be. Will they actually care about attendance and is the final cumulative? Regardless of what kind of professor you have, you should try to take advantage of them and the resources they provide. Your professors are not just a plethora of information, they could be the gateway to internships and research opportunities. Here are some helpful tips to help you build solid relationships with your professor. 

1. Don’t be afraid of that front row seat. So many students opt for the back of the classroom, as far away from the front of the room as possible. This works for some, but for most, it becomes easy to get distracted or take a mid-afternoon snooze in the middle of the lecture.  By choosing the front row seat instead, it becomes more feasible to focus on what the professor is saying. If the professor knows you are paying attention to the subject material, they are more likely to pay attention to you. This can make it easier to attain help if you feel that you are falling behind in the class or having trouble with the material. This also allows for a better connection with your professor. By allowing your professor to get to know you, you open up the opportunity for letters of recommendation down the road.

2. Take advantage of the resources. If your professor has office hours, an email, or a phone number where you can reach them, take advantage of it! Your professor is making themselves available to you. If you have a question, need help on a paper, or have another concern about the class, who else would you go to other than your professor? Office hours provide a great environment with your professor where you can talk to them one-on-one. Corresponding with your professor over email or phone is quick and oftentimes the most convenient option. Your professor only wants you to do well, so take advantage of what they are offering.

3. Be outspoken, show up, and do the work. College is the precursor to the real world of careers and offices. If you do not aim to be outspoken and do not have a good work ethic, you will be at a disadvantage when you are sitting in a job interview or in your office. Think of your professor as your boss. You wouldn’t want to disappoint your boss, right? Treat your college classes like your career, your 9-5 job.  At this junction in life, being a student is the most important thing. Your professor can’t exactly give you a raise, but if you volunteer in class, show up on time, and do the work, your professor could very well raise your grade.

4. Show some interest.You could be a Biology major and stuck in a Shakespeare class. What is Shakespeare going to possibly do for your major? Not much, I know, but think of what your professor is passionate about. Think about what they majored in when they were in college. Your Shakespeare professor was more than likely an English major who thoroughly enjoys Shakespeare, just like you enjoy Biology. This is what they have dedicated their life to, to teaching students like you! Show them, and their interests, some respect. Yes, Romeo and Juliet won’t help you learn the biological system, but give your professor your undivided attention anyway. You never know, you could discover another passion of yours by paying attention to your professors’.

5. Remember that your professors are people, too. Maybe your 8am professor is a stickler for attendance and you know you won’t mesh well with them because of your sleep schedule. Your professor probably doesn’t want to wake up early either and teach a bunch of bleary-eyed college students. They have a life outside of the classroom just like you do and they also have feelings. Don’t act indifferent and disengaged just because you are tired. Treat your professors how you would want to be treated yourself; with respect, and you will get respect in return.

Megan Salavantis is a Siena College Class of 2018. Megan majored in English at Siena during those four years.