This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

With many new events arising in our daily lives, schooling may also be impacted in the process. Having to complete assignments and take exams from your home can be difficult, especially in times like these. Most importantly, finding ways to stay occupied and on task with the assignments needed to be completed can be beneficial to remote schooling. 

a photo of an open planner
Free-Photos | Pixabay
One of the common ways I have kept myself occupied is to become organized, whether it is your room or school supplies. Having a tidy desk to work at, as well as neat notes, can help ease the process of efficiently completing your work.

Check your emails regularly. This is really important. Your teachers will communicate with you via these platforms and this is how you will be able to stay up to date with the course and assessment information.

Set a routine and stick to it. I know this seems obvious but it may prove harder than you think to actually stick to a daily routine in your own home. Since you will still be attending classes and lectures via Zoom, try building your day around that. Create a schedule for your day like you would have if you came to campus. Copy your current timetable and work from that template, shifting things around when you need to. Don’t forget to have some breakfast before launching into your study and give yourself a lunch or snack break when you need it.

clothes
Artificial Photography
We all hear that the number one tip is always to get dressed for the day as if you were going outside. This is great, sure, but if you want to stay in your pajamas all day then that’s fine too! Regardless of what you decide, creating a routine will make it easier for you to get a good balance between study and life. Stay social and connected with your classmates. Don’t forget to stay social and connect with your friends too! Have video chats with your classmates to talk about the week’s content or an upcoming assignment. Use the time to check in on your mates and see how studying from home is going for them. It’s important to support each other as we all adjust to studying remotely. You can use Zoom for video chats (as suggested by the University) or whatever app works best for you like FaceTime or Messenger.

Look after your health and wellbeing. Work your personal wellbeing into your daily schedule. Maintaining a balanced diet while at home, insuring your hydrated, taking regular breaks from the screen and harsh light, and staying hygienic are all important for both your mental health and your study. Feeling clean, healthy, and active will boost your morale and will positively impact your study!

Hang in there! We’re in this together!

Magen Fortin is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied Health Studies/Health Sciences at her time at Siena.