Wellness

Healthy Snack Recipes You Probably Haven’t Tried

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Now, I know that a lot of us tried to become professional chefs over quarantine (and some of us failed), but today I’ve gathered five unique, healthy recipes that you probably haven’t tried.

First, we have a recipe for no bake energy balls, which can be found on WellPlated.com. The ingredients are simple, including oats, nut butter, some type of sticky sweetener, and min-ins, which all serve a valuable and nutritional purpose in this tasty treat. It has been said that these energy balls taste more like cookie dough than just another energy snack, so try them out and see for yourself! If you want to attempt these energy balls, visit the website and search through their variety of flavor options! There, additional comments from the author provide alternate ingredient substitutes for those with allergies, and storage tips.

Spoon Csu-Blueberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Brook Buchan / Spoon
Next, pistachio oat squares from LoveAndLemons.com are sure to cure your sweet tooth, if the energy balls haven’t already! These also include oats, along with pistachios, a pinch of salt, syrup, olive oil, and coconut flakes. If this sounds good to you, the recipe, found on the site I just linked, makes 12 servings. So, you can have a snack and share with all of your friends too. 

As a quick break between sweet recipes, this recipe from OneIngredientChef.com for cheesy kale chips is definitely more savory. The ingredients here include tahini, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, water, and of course your kale leaves. This recipe takes between 25 and 35 minutes, so it can be quick to prepare if you want a healthy, crispy snack in a time crunch. Also, you can make these in batches for a grab-and-go snack option that is much healthier than your typical potato chips.

Back with another sweet snack, that can also serve as a breakfast, is a trend that some of you may have seen on TikTok. Baked oatmeal has become very popular for its aesthetics and variety, since you can customize it with whatever mix-ins you want. The recipe is outlined on EatingBirdFood.com and offers many of the variations, so you’re likely to find some combination that you like! In these baked oats, ingredients are oats (obviously), cinnamon, baking powder, salt, milk of any sort, flaxseed or an egg, coconut oil, vanilla extract, two bananas or applesauce, and finally, your mix-ins of choice. This recipe is also very versatile and adaptable to many different diets, since virtually any ingredient can be substituted for an allergy sensitive substitute. This website provides examples of popular mix-ins and substitutions, so visit the site if you want to try your hand at this TikTok trend!

jar of oats
Photo by Castorly Stock from Pexels
Finally, another healthy grab-and-go option is the No-Bake Blueberry-Almond Oatmeal Bars with White Chocolate from TwoHealthyKitchens.com. Like the other recipes, this includes oats, fruits, seeds and mix-ins, all which are a healthy source of energy for a quick snack between meals. The recipe calls for wild blueberries, oats, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, almonds, flaxseed meal, almond butter, honey, and almond extract. These bars don’t require an oven, which makes it easier for people who don’t have access to one, like college students, to take part! These snacks can also be frozen or refrigerated if you make them ahead of time. See the linked recipe to learn more!

When we’re crunched for time, it can be so easy to think there’s no time for a healthy snack and that all there is to grab is a bag of chips or other unhealthy pre-packaged foods. However, if you take the time on the weekends to make these snacks ahead of time, you’ll have healthy options set for the week! This allows you to know exactly what you’re putting in your body, and will give you more nutrients than your usual, prepackaged options. Whether it’s the energy balls or the kale chips that caught your attention, or if this article even inspired you to make a quick Pinterest search for quick, easy, healthy snack recipes, then I’m glad! Regardless, take care of your body and fuel it right so we can all be our healthiest, happiest selves.

ABC/Craig Sjodin

Avery is a senior Economics major, with minors in Business and French, at Siena College. Naturally, being from Massachusetts, she’s a big fan of the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots! Some of her favorite things include hiking and adventuring with her friends.