This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

On my trip to find razors at Walmart, I came across Garnier’s hair masks on an end cap and decided: Why not? 2020 is the year of self-care, right?

I called my sister for her opinion on which one I should buy out of all the options I had: coconut, avocado, papaya and aloe. Garnier also has a banana and goji extract ones as well, but they were not in store when I was there.  I choose the coconut extract one based on the smell and that it was nourishing for your hair.

You can use these hair masks as an actual hair mask, a conditioner, and an in-leave treatment. And I’ve tried all three ways for you guys!

hair dye
artursfoto via Pixabay

Hair Mask

I have to say, using it this way is tedious (at least for me). Even though it’s only a one minutes hair mask, it added a few minutes of to my hair-care shower routine. Instead of shampoo, rinse, condition, rinse, it added a complete mask and rinse to it. It’s definitely something I wouldn’t do it all time, especially if I’m in a rush, but it does add a nice extra bit of softness to my hair.

Conditioner

All I have to say is that Garnier is not a salon brand, and you can tell when using it as a conditioner. Comparing it to my salon brand conditioner, I thought this mask left a bit of a film on my hair. It didn’t leave my hair feeling as nourished as I wanted it to feel, whereas my moisture shampoo leaves my hair feeling healthy and clean. Which brings me to using it as a leave-in conditioner.

Leave-In Conditioner

This product works it’s best when using it as a leave-in conditioner. One, it smells good every time you move your head. Two, it actually leaves your hair feeling nourished. Three, I actually like it better than my salon brand leave-in!

It has a longer time to work its way into your hair, so it really works its magic! It’s easy to style with and doesn’t weigh down your hair.

I’m definitely excited to keep using this product, and buying more scents!

smiling woman in pink sweater
Freshh Connection

You can get the Garnier Coconut Extract Hair Mask at Walmart for $5.77!

Alyssa Guzman is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she Double Majored in English and Communications Journalism with a minor in Writing and Communications.