This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Being celiac has forced me to make many changes to my diet, but with some easy tips it becomes much easier to cook certain receipts and make simple changes to still be able to eat what you want and not restrict yourself completely. I have found that the best way to still be able to eat some of your favorite foods is to just find dishes that involve noodles or flour because those are easy substitutes that make the food taste the same. Here are some of my favorite receipts that are easily made gluten free, while still tasting the same as before. 

Banana Bread

This is one of my all time favorite receipts. It is gluten free and vegan. For this receipt you mix all the dry and wet ingredients separately and then you mix them all together. You can either make this bread or muffins. Usually it takes 35-40 minutes to cook at 350 degrees. 

Ingredients:

– 3 very ripe bananas 

– ¾ cup maple syrup 

– ½ melted coconut oil 

– 1 teaspoon vanilla 

– 1 cup gluten free flour 

– 1 cup oats 

– 1 teaspoon baking powder 

– 1 teaspoon cinnamon

– 1 teaspoon baking soda 

– ½ teaspoon salt 

– Chocolate chips 

Roman Holiday Soup 

This soup is very delicious and super easy to exchange the noodles for gluten free elbow pasta. When making this soup, you sauté the onion and carrots, and then add the veggies. Then once you add the tomato paste and all the spices you want to dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into the soup. The last thing you add is the white beans.

Ingredients: 

– ¼ cup chopped onions 

– 1½ cup sliced carrots 1 tablespoon olive oil 

– 1½ cup green beans 

– ½ cup noodles 

– 6 cups chicken broth 

– ¼ cup tomato paste 

– 2 cloves garlic crushed 

– 2 tablespoons chopped basil 

– 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese 

– 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 

– 1 tablespoon cornstarch 

– 2 tablespoon cold water 

– 2 cups drained white beans 

Blueberry Breakfast Cake

This is a receipt that my whole family has been making for years, but when I became gluten free, I began to start using the gluten free flour instead of wheat flour and it still tastes just as good. 

Ingredients: 

– 1 cup sugar 

– 1 teaspoon butter or margarine

– 2 eggs

– 1½ teaspoon of baking powder 

– 2 cups flour 

– ½ cup of milk 

– Pinch of salt 

– 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen 

These are some of my go to recipes for an easy breakfast on the go or my favorite soup when I get sick. All three are easy to make into being gluten free and still taste great. 

Caroline Seppa is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Accounting with an Information Systems minor during her time at Siena.