DoingTheMost Hero R1 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
DoingTheMost Hero R1 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

COVID-19 Transfer Boredom Into Creativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

I know that no one is having the time of their life right now. We were just torn from our colleges, our homes, and forced to move back into our house early, a house that may feel slightly strange now that we’ve been away for so long. You probably miss your wine nights with the girls and being able to grab a bite with friends anytime you wish. I know I do. But, the reality is this is what our lives are going to be like for some indefinite time, so we should make the most out of our quarantine and be thankful that we are healthy.

We should take this time to self improve, after all summer is still on the way. For someone like me, who is the queen of gaining weight in the winter and then attempting to lose it all before summer, this period of time is actually quite useful. Typically, whenever my friends want to eat on campus I follow and tend to always make excuses about why I can’t go to the gym after. But now is our time to shine. There are great YouTube videos with at home workouts that require no equipment and will definitely get your summer body ready. I would recommend looking at videos posted by XHIT Daily and Jump Rope Dudes (if you have a jump rope), they are easy to follow, but challenging to complete. As for food, we finally don’t have to stick to what’s available in our dining halls ladies! We can once again make delicious and healthy homemade food. Why not come out of quarantine as the best version of you, what else is there to do?!

Yoga
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

I know we all have online classes, and that may be taking up a lot of your time, but if you ever find yourself bored there is a lot more to do than you think. For those of you who may be into makeup, why don’t you spend some time perfecting different looks that you haven’t tried, or maybe struggled with before? Personally, I have spent a decent amount of quarantine trying to perfect my eyebrows, which is something I’ve always had trouble with. When you’re trapped inside your house, one might not see the point of putting on a full face of makeup to do nothing. But, it can serve as an effective time killer, as well as something that may make you feel better. Now, I’m not saying women need makeup to feel beautiful, but sometimes dressing up makes me feel more productive than lounging in the same clothes I wore to bed all day.

a cup of makeup brushes is in focus on the right, and a small handful of brushes lays out of focus on the table to the left
freestocks | Unsplash

This is also the perfect time to pick up a new hobby or continue an old one. For those of you who love to paint, draw, write, etc. now is the perfect time to do it. Order a canvas online, draw some sketches, make a blog or write a story, you have the time so might as well! Another fun thing for you to do could be painting a foldable table. We have probably all seen Instagram or Snapchat posts with foldable tables that have the friend’s group college logos painted on it, or any other creative design, and they turn out so cool. When quarantine ends you’ll be able to show off something creative that you did! And, as for myself, I promised myself that by the end of quarantine I would enter some writing competitions and start a blog. Making achievable goals for yourself during this time will keep you busy as well as happy once you finally do the thing you always said you would. 

Maybe it’s time for you to rearrange your room. It might’ve been something you always wanted to do, but didn’t have the time. Or maybe it’s just because you are THAT bored, but updating your room never hurts. Since I left for college, my sister took over my old room and since I came back so suddenly I didn’t grab all my personal belongings from school. So I was sitting in a half-empty room that didn’t reflect me at all. I decided to move everything around and actually change the basement into my bedroom. Luckily, we happened to have some things at my house that I could decorate with, but I’ll definitely be ordering some things from Amazon! 

Dorm room bed with lights
Sarah Ehrlich

Yes, this time may be boring, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be. It’s a period of time where you can finally do the things that you have always wanted to, or explore a new set of interests. Although sitting on the couch binge-watching your favorite TV show is fun, it gets boring after doing it all day, every day. Transfer your boredom into something creative. 

Here are just a few examples of how to change your boredom into creativity! There are so many ways to stay creative while stuck in your house, but these are just a few!

Tori is a senior at Siena College. She is a communications journalism major and hopes to become a journalist for National Geographic or the New York Times and also creatively write. She enjoys Mcdonalds, eating, hanging out with friends, surfing, hiking, and Netflix. Follow her on instagram to see her adventures @torimangelli.