This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Any college student can agree that these past few semesters have been some of the most trying times in turns of keeping your mental health in check. Being secluded from your peers, doing everything over a screen and not getting the normal social interactions would would everyday take a toll on your health and overall lifestyle. This past semester especially, I’ve been working on prioritizing my mental health and physical health over everything else simply because I’ve found that with everything else going on in the world, everyone should be taking more time to prioritize themselves above everything else. You’re only going to work as hard, or be as motivated as you can be with the right mindset going into things! 

woman sitting on blanket located on shoreline
Photo by Cody Black from Unsplash

First, I think that the most important thing to do when prioritizing your own mental health is to give yourself time in your day to relax, breathe, and not think or worry about other things going on around you. The work culture of our world today seems to be so hectic and busy, leaving people constantly feeling like they have to be working, or doing something “work related” at all times. Creating a boundary between work and your own personal time is important to release stress, and take a moment away from the computer or other work related distractions. When you make time for yourself, make sure that you’re doing the things you want to be doing in that time frame! Whether that means reading a book, watching a Netflix show, or seeing friends, it should be something that will help you do something to benefit you. 

Another way that I prioritize my mental health relates to fitness, and moving my body in general! It’s so important to continuously get up and move even on the days that you feel like all you can do is lay in bed. I’ve been doing my best to go to the gym most days, to feel like I’ve done something beneficial for myself and to release any stress that I may have built up from the course of the day. On top of that, now that the weather is getting nicer I find it so beneficial to get outside as much as I possibly can and get all the Vitamin D! Personally I know that the sunshine will always improve my mood so whenever it’s a nice enough day to spend time outside, I’ll make sure to sit somewhere and read, do work, or even just take a nice long walk. 

In taking time for yourself, there also comes making time for other people in your life. Seeing your friends, family and other people who mean alot to you as frequently as you can will help improve your mental health simply by being around those who care about you. If you are struggling with mental health it’s important to talk to the people you care about and that you trust, but also remember to never shut anyone out. Spending time with friends can be one of the quickest fixes if you’re feeling a little down one day. It’s important to spend time with others just as it’s important to have some time to yourself, and being surrounded by the people you care about most can sometimes be the best fix.

Photo of young brunette woman wearing a backpack and walking down a street alone shot from behind
Photo by Karel Rakovsky from Picjumbo
By doing something each day to benefit your mental health, you’ll be able to get through this never-ending semester and come out of it so much stronger! Even though school and work seems to be what’s consuming everyone’s lives right now, always remember to take a step back and enjoy your time with friends. On top of that, remember to enjoy the time you set aside for yourself! No matter what you end up doing, as long as it’s something that is a benefit to you you’ll feel much better afterwards. If you take a little time each day to do something positive for your mental health, the semester will fly by and you’ll be feeling better than ever before by the end of it!

Jessica Dery is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing and minored in Human Resources.