This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

So 2016 seemed to be the equivalent of that moment in an action movie where everything is being destroyed and all hope seems lost. That means that 2017 will, hopefully, be the last part of the movie where everything turns out alright. Maybe a little burnt, but a-okay. However, this won’t just magically happen. You need to be the protagonist of this movie and do some stuff so 2017 can be fantastic!

GIF Source

1) Be kind

There’s a lot of hate in the world right now, but that doesn’t mean you have to keep it going in an endless cycle. It’s also pretty amazing what an act of kindness can do for your well-being as well as for the person you helped. It can actually help put you in a better mental place and change your worldview. The world needs a little kindness right now, go fill it with love. Even the smallest act can make a difference.

GIF Source

2) Build your confidence

Having a stellar year means getting a little more confident along the way. The problem is, it’s not an easy thing to do. Trust me. Now, everyone has different methods for building yourself up and not one method works for everyone. So, like trying to find that one hairstyle that works for you, try out different things. Do some breathing exercises to ease your anxiety, give yourself some daily affirmations, or even start wearing clothes that make you yourself feel good. Any way to help you put a little pep in your step and give yourself the credit you deserve.

GIF Source

3) Stay positive

Negativity can be a very persuasive enemy. It’s easy to harp on yourself or others when times get a little tougher. If you want to make the world a little bit brighter in 2017, you gotta try to stay out of the negative. This doesn’t mean you can’t feel blue or angry sometimes. You’re human, I’m human, we all have to deal with our emotions. Staying positive, though, means trying to fix the problematic issues without an outlook that makes you miserable. It means focusing on the good things in life without constantly reminding yourself of everything bad in the world. Fix what you can, do what you can for the world, but be positive or this year might be just as bad as the last for you.

GIF Source

4) Get out of your comfort zone

Don’t get stuck doing all of the same stuff you did in 2016, because life is more exciting when you decide to branch out a bit. Whether it’s trying out new foods or wearing something you thought you had no business wearing before, it’ll be a whole new adventure for you. If anyone tries to rain on your parade then ignore them or, better yet, follow bullet point one. You’ll feel better about yourself and it’ll make them think. Seriously though, try something new. Your life is richer when you’ve actually experienced more than what you’ve been normalized to.

GIF Source

5) Unapologetically be yourself

Lastly, take all of those things that were talked about, wrap them into one, and just act like yourself this year. Be proud of who you are no matter what. Do so in a manner that you feel is good for you and don’t let anyone push you into doing anything that you don’t want to. While it’s good to be kind and get out of your comfort zone, do it on your own terms. Be you. Be the you that you’ve always wanted to be – the best version of you.

GIF Source

2017 can be a rockin’ year for you, but you also have to put in a little effort yourself. Be kind to others, stay positive, and just be yourself to make this year an adventure that will make up for the dumpster fire that was 2016. Just do things at your own pace and you’ll be fine, but do try to get out of your comfort zone. Remaining stagnant doesn’t do anyone any good.

Title Image Source