This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

There are so many positive benefits from listening to music. Music can help you relax, help you stay focused while studying, help you stay motivated while you workout, and increase your happiness. It only takes approximately 15 minutes of listening to music to achieve a natural high. This is due to your brain releasing dopamine, which is a neurotransmitter that can cause an increase in feelings of happiness. Researchers also found that runners who listened to motivational music actually ran faster than those who listened to no music or calm music while running half a mile. Now that you’ve read about some of the perks of listening to music, here are some artists you should add to your playlist ASAP. 

Matty Healy Performing
Photo by Krista Mangulsone on Unsplash
To help you relax, Bazzi is the perfect artist to listen to. His real name is Andrew Bazzi and is a 22 year old American singer and songwriter. His music has been described as pop with an R&B influence. He first gained notoriety when his single “Mine” reached viral success in early 2018. His songs are so soothing, calming, and will be stuck in your head all day. Some of his most popular songs include “3:15”, “Beautiful”, “Paradise”, and “Fallin” ft. 6LACK. Make sure to check out his new single “Renee’s Song,” it’s worth the listen. 

Another artist with songs you’ll be listening to on repeat is Bryce Vine. Bryce Ross-Johnson, called by his stage name Bryce Vine, is a 31 year old American singer and rapper. He’s shown an interest in music since he was just 13 years old, when he taught himself how to play the guitar. His style varies from relaxing to upbeat and he’s been described to blend “pop, rap, and alternative rock influences” together while writing “thoughtful lyrics” that tend to tell a story. He scored his first hit with his single “Sour Patch Kids” in 2014, but he is more known for his more recent song “Drew Barrymore” which went viral in 2018. Some of my top five favorite songs by him are “La La Land,” “Glamorama,” “Nowhere Man,” “The Fall,” and “Love Me Hate Me.” You won’t be disappointed by his new single either, definitely listen to “Baby Girl” when you have a chance.

As far as music that is perfect for a workout or for a party, Two Friends is the group you’ve been searching for. Eli Sones and Matthew Halper are the American DJs/producers that are behind the duo Two Friends. The two met in 7th grade and at the end of high school, they created Two Friends after thinking of the name in their Senior Seminar class together. The DJs became popular for their remixes, discography, and especially their ‘Big Bootie’ mixes. Their ‘Big Bootie’ mixes feature classics and recent music that are mashed up into an hour long video and can be found on YouTube and Soundcloud. Sones and Halper describe their music as “a melting pot of a lot of different elements and influences,” and “songs that are fun and get you dancing and moving”. Their most streamed ‘Big Bootie’ mixes right now are Volume 11, 13, and 15 – you’ve probably heard them played at a few pre games. Volume 17 was just released this month and may be their best one yet.

Concert
Aditya Chinchure via Unspalsh

Katie Molinari is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.