This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Once you are in college you begin to get surrounded by so many germs that your body is not used to so getting sick is inevitable. Everyone can relate to the fact that when you get sick it’s impossible to just drop everything and stay in bed for a few days. Our lives must still go on, schoolwork must get done, and our to do lists are never ending so we need to get better fast. Here are some easy tips to help yourself get well quickly. 

Gif Source

Echinacea

Sickness always starts with prevention and when you are at college getting sick is easy. This is a supplement that will help you prevent getting sick, therefore it is definitely a college life essential. When everyone else starts getting sick, this is your time to be proactive. The supplements main job is to boost your immune system so when the virus enters your body your immune system will be ready to fight it off. 

And it’s only $5.71 on Amazon!

Heating Pad

Whenever my stomach hurts I always get my heating pad. By putting the heating pad either on your stomach or lower back it can sometimes lessen the pain. Another option would be a heating pad for your neck to release the tension in your neck and upper back. With that, it helps allow your body to relax which is something that is much needed when you are feeling unwell. 

Salt Water Solution

The perfect cheap and easy way to release sinus pressure is to take some hot water and mix some salt in and breathe it in each nostril. I know it sounds crazy, but it really works. By doing this simple thing morning and night you can start to feel your passages clearing up and the pressure releasing from your sinuses. When headaches, stuffy nose, and throat soreness is a problem this can be a solution or at least a helpful option. 

Esssential Oils

Lately this seems to be the new and upcoming thing that people are getting into and I have some tips. Diffusers are amazing things that not only make your room smell good but depending upon the oil you put in it can make you feel energized or relaxed. When feeling sick or tired, a few drops of wild orange in the diffuser can help you feel energized and ready for the day. Or you could even put a drop of it on your hands and rub it in and breathe it in which will give the same effect.

On the other hand, if your goal is to relax then lavender is the best option. A little lavender on the bottom of each foot at night goes a long way or again you can put it in a diffuser.

Another main oil is peppermint. Rubbing a couple drops of peppermint on your head can help a headache or putting a little under your nose can clear your passages. 

Peppermint Essential Oil on Amazon is $29.33.

Essential Oil Diffuser on Amazon is only $15.99!

Rest

Lastly is rest, because when stress and anxiety takes over it is even harder to come out of your sickness. Take naps, get a good nights sleep, and overall just relax. 

Every individual has a different immune system so these tips may not apply to all, but you never know unless you try. When you feel like the sickness is taking over don’t give up because you will be better before you know it!

Sophie Eisenbach is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Biochemistry during her time at Siena.