samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

1.Volvo Construction Equipment

Volvo is one of Shippensburg’s top employers and also one of the top international construction equipment companies. Volvo has a location only a 10 minute drive from campus right off King St., and offers paid internship experience to tons of different majors. Volvo offers positions in communications, finance, business and engineering, just to name a couple, but posts new positions each semester.

2.Roxbury Treatment Center

Roxbury is rehabilitation facility in town, which is about a 10 minute drive from campus, that provides treatment for people suffering from mental illnesses or a substance abuse disorder. Roxbury seeks unpaid interns pursuing degrees in psychology, social work or anything in the human services sector.

3.Whitaker Center

The Whitaker Center is a science and arts venue in Harrisburg that hosts different events for children and adults focused around both STEM and artistic entertainment. Internships are unpaid, but can be taken for credit, for anyone whose interest is piqued by science and technology. Some internship positions include theater techs, human resources and office management, accounting and education.

4.Center for Land Use and Sustainability

Located right on campus, the CLUS offers internships to students majoring in fields related to sustainability or land use. Currently, the CLUS is working on projects like its Delaware River Basin Project and helping Chambersburg earn a Sustainable PA Community Certification. The CLUS is a perfect and convenient opportunity for environmental biology, geography and geoenvironmental students looking to for an internship or to help with research. The CLUS even has partnerships with organizations such as the National Park Service, NASA and Chesapeake Bay Trust if you’re looking to take your career to the next level.

5.U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center

The Army Heritage and Education Center is a museum exhibiting army technologies, artifacts relating to historical leaders and interactive “booby traps” to educate people on soldier experiences past and present. Interns here are unpaid and must volunteer for at least one full semester, but you can earn credit for them. Located at the Carlisle Barracks, an internship here would be just a 30 minute drive from campus. USAHEC looks for art, history, human communication, communication/journalism, chemistry and several other majors year-round to fill internship positions as needed.

6.Commonwealth department internships

Shippensburg is a 45 minute drive to the capital, Harrisburg, which can be beneficial for anyone with an interest in pursuing government work. There’s a department within driving distance to fit anyone’s interest, such as the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Education, Health or Environmental Protection. This isn’t just hands-on experience for political science or public administration majors, either. There’s positions throughout all the departments that would welcome every major because they all serve different purposes and require staff from all different academic backgrounds. A way to search for openings is to check out a department’s website, go to employment.pa.gov or directly get in touch with the HR department of your selected bureau to express your interest.

7.Martin’s Famous Pastry Shoppe

A family owned and God-led company in Chambersburg, Martin’s is among the top producers for their renowned hamburger and hotdog potato rolls. Martin’s internships are paid and full-time over the summer, and the position can be tailored to suit your skillset and interests. Some of the positions they look to fill include robotics engineering, supply chain, food safety, information technology and MIS.

8.SU Magazine

The SU magazine is published three times a year and targets alumni of SU and parents of current students. Its packed with features on extraordinary student internships or research, successful or unique alumni and news on the Raiders sports teams. The Marketing and Publications office is located in Old Main, so this internship is right on campus. Anyone like English or Communication/Journalism majors or Technical Professional Communications minors who like to write would be an ideal fit for this position.

Cat enthusiast. Traveler. Aspiring PR professional.