Be Confident Without Wearing Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

To start off, I love my makeup collection. I wear makeup every day because it makes me feel good to not see the dark circles that engulf my eyes on a daily basis. I like playing with different looks and making my eyes really pop. I love to enhance my features and it can really help boost my confidence in social situations. Although now I have a different perspective and use less makeup. I did not do this to reestablish my independence as a woman either. Instead, I just got pink eye and had to boot the makeup and contacts for two painfully long weeks. Imagine my suffering as I explained to my tinder date why I had to cancel. As you can see, I was really having a stellar week.

Needless to say, I hated it. I complained everyday about not being able to use a concealer under my eyes because it really does make me look like the strung-out-on-caffeine person that I am in the mornings. Also I had to sport the scuffed glasses that I stepped on in the driveway and jacked up the lenses. And yes the scratches were extremely noticeable because there is a small chunk missing from the left lenses. I went from almost a full face every day to nothing and I felt less confident. Like I lost an edge to myself. Silly, I know, but do not act like a certain shirt ever makes you feel better than another to go out in.  It was like I went out without a shirt on! People even asked me if I was feeling okay that first day. I apparently looked really “tired.” Which, I will admit to having to hold my bitter comment on my appearance not being up to par, but I digress. Then to top it all off, I had to throw out all my eye makeup that came in contact with the eye. (THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO DO! You can keep infecting your eyes.) There went a solid eye shadow pallet I was certainly NOT done with. And a mascara! This all was very traumatic for me to deal with on top of a puffy eyeball. 

Consequently, I was not feeling like I was put together normally when I would go to leave the house. It really bothered me, but then it was when my long two weeks were up and I looked in my mirror. I do not know if it was all the coffee that day or legit, but I felt like i did not need the concealer. Just some mascara was all I put on. This was a first for me in a while since I “revamped” my look recently. I totally put my contacts in though because if you ever had scraped lenses, it just hurts your head to look out them all day. It has been refreshing to remind myself I do not need a bunch of makeup to feel good about my look. I can still enhance my features by wearing less and learning from my body what works best for my look. It reminded me that change is always good to incorporate into your routine and this was a solid twenty to thirty minutes of my day that was reevaluated. I say reevaluated, but I really just mean I sleep an extra ten to twenty minutes in the morning.

I have definitely noticed that I am more comfortable without makeup as my second layer of skin.  In my case, being forced to not wear any helped me be more confident now in just a thin layer of concealer and powder. Even if I am struggling that day to feel together I remember to just be happy that I do not still have pink eye.

My name is Brittany and I am excited to share my experiences writing for Hercampus!
Cat enthusiast. Traveler. Aspiring PR professional.