New Year New Me or New Year No Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

January is well under way, and we get it–post holiday blues are real!  Stress from readings, assignments and even the dreaded long line at the bookstores manifests itself into a cloud that rains down the reality of the new semester. As the holiday season concludes, the New Year commences. I’m sure I’m not the only one whose been told that 2017 is going to be *their* year!  January often marks the time where individuals develop a list of resolutions. Many people use January 1st as a reset button, with lists and evaluations of their character, aspirations, and overall life satisfaction.

However, lately, I’ve questioned the effectiveness of resolutions, as they can encourage change when one might simply not be ready to embrace it. Or it can delay plans that could’ve been enforced earlier. Recently a friend and I got into a discussion surrounding the effectiveness of New Year’s resolutions. Unexpectedly, we had very different views. After our discussion, it became clear that there is no “best” way to approach the New Year.  So, keep reading to see the different paths you can still take as you ring in 2017!

New Year New Me

From this perspective, January acts as the ultimate reset button. It’s the time to get back to the gym and work off the holiday treats. As I was speaking with my friend, I couldn’t help but admire how driven she was by the resolutions she had.  Maybe you’ve decided to adopt a new habit such as reading more books, picking up an instrument, or spending time with loved ones.

To start, one thing that the New Year provides for some is hope. People wait anxiously for January to begin so that they can turn their plans for change into action. For some, the New Year is inspiring; it acts as a fresh start, and a new beginning that people can use to reconstruct parts of themselves.

Deep reflection often accompanies the jump into a new calendar year. For many, January is the perfect time to assess goals and to create new ones. This is where resolutions enter the scene. For those who need a little extra motivation to get going, resolutions are the perfect push. The act of setting a goal, and telling others, allows can influence people to feel accountable to their commitments.

Even if you fail to stick to your resolutions, they force you to be aware of the aspects of your life that you may wish to change. Alternatively, it allows you to set a timeframe for the experiences you may wish to embark on. For example, if you yearn to travel more, or want to be more spontaneous. The success of these goals can be hard to measure, yet it’s still valuable to be aware of these desires. 

New Year No Change

This perspective on resolutions is one that I may be biased towards. I found that many people were taken by surprise by my lack of resolution for the new year. Frankly, to many, stepping foot into a new year means nothing more than another day on the calendar. Sometimes we shouldn’t be waiting for the new years to spark change. If you’re unsatisfied with a part of your life, you should feel comfortable demanding change.

Entering a new year doesn’t mean you must transform yourself or create resolutions that you know you probably won’t stick to. If setting goals make you anxious, resolutions can be both exhausting and redundant. Everybody runs at their own pace, so the end of the year may be a finish line for some and a halfway point for others.

Just remember that the grass is green wherever (and whenever) you choose to water it. That could be January 1st but it could also be March, June, or even December. Goals can be set and accomplished on any day of the year, and any time of the month, so if you want changes to occur, there’s no need to let yourself wait for a new year. Resolutions often limit some people into thinking that there is a specific timeline for events to occur. Truth be told there may never be a “right” time for anything!

The point is that there’s no right or wrong way to ring in the new year. January can be a catalyst for change or just another month. We, at HerCampus SFU, wish you all a warm welcome into 2017–and look forward to the year ahead.

Image Source: http://creativity103.com/collections/Lightfantastic/new_year_2017.jpg

Samantha is a fourth-year student at, Simon Fraser University, pursuing a double major in political science and communication. When not keeping up with what's new in pop culture, Samantha can often be found sipping on Starbucks drinks, or enjoying one-too-many YouTube videos. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Samantha's passion for fashion, fitness, and nutrition is what keeps her going through the week. She's self-motivated, friendly, and never turns down a cup of tea and a nice chat!