#MeetTheExec: Gerta Heba, Marketing and Publicity Director

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Today we are excited to introduce to you all our Marketing and Publicity Director, Gerta Heba!

Gerta is hands-down one of the most interesting people we know. She has had many unique experiences, including going on mission trips to Mexico for one week each year for the past four years to help construct classrooms alongside “True North Helping Hands,” a charity organization. Moreover, she is also a singer-songwriter and makes covers on her YouTube channel. Currently, she is working on original music. Lastly, she is passionate about fitness. Although her looks may be deceiving, she loves to lift heavy weights!  

Read our interview below to learn more about Gerta’s involvement with Her Campus, childhood dreams, and time-management tips.

The Basics

Name: Gerta Heba

Age: 22

Hometown: Vancouver, BC

Program of Study: Communication Major, Print and Digital Publishing Minor

Year: 4th year

Social Media: Instagram: gypsigigii, YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/gertahebamusic

What we would like to know

How and when did you begin to get involved with Her Campus?

I was studying abroad for 5 months in Australia, and when I arrived back home in July, I wanted to prepare myself for my last semester at SFU, by getting involved as much as I can. I was applying for work and volunteer positions with SFU, and I landed a position as the Marketing and Publicity Director for Her Campus at the start of September 2016.

What is your favourite marketing technique?

I don’t know if I can pinpoint a “favourite” marketing technique, but I believe contemporary brands are not about selling a product to a customer, but about developing an intimate connection with them. I try and uphold this mantra when I am trying to think of new marketing tactics.

Do you have any tips for balancing school, work and volunteering?

I find the key to balancing your commitments is learning effective time management. Create a schedule, and organize your time according to what is most important to you to get accomplished. Most importantly, don’t stress and take things day by day :)

If you were a flavour of ice cream from Earnest Ice Cream, what flavour would you be and why?

I don’t know if they sell this flavour in stores, but I tried the Apple Pie flavour this summer at a Feast festival in Vancouver, and I fell in love. (I’m a sucker for apple pie).

What inspired you to apply to be Director of Marketing and Publicity for Her Campus SFU?

I wanted to get more work-experience, especially in the field of publicity, to see if I like the line of work.

Describe your perfect day:

That’s a hard question! But a perfect day would probably include doing something adventurous during the day like surfing. (I can’t really surf well, but it’s a lot of fun trying to :p) Then in the evening, I would go to see my favourite band perform with some good company and get to meet the band after, haha!

What are your plans for Her Campus SFU during your term as Director of Marketing and Publicity?

Her Campus SFU just launched their chapter last year, so I really want to focus on bringing more exposure to the club and developing the chapter.

What was your childhood dream?

My childhood dream was (and still is) to be a singer. The two things I love most are to sing and write, so it would be a dream come true if I can create amazing music that resonates with millions of people.

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what meal would that be?

PIZZA. Pizza is life. Pizza is love.

Agreed, pizza is very special. Welcome to the team, Gerta! 

Sarah is graduating from SFU's Beedie School of Business after six years of studying marketing, human resources and international business. In her spare time, she volunteers to support other students' learning of business communications and at Greater Vancouver Board of Trade events. Connect with Sarah through LinkedIn or Instagram.