A Black Woman’s Thoughts for the Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Honestly and frankly speaking I haven’t the slightest clue where to begin. I’m exhausted from hearing about stories of police brutality, because it’s taking both a physical and emotional toll on me.

I am not even African-American or residing in the US but because of the colour of my skin, I’m on the same boat. Leaving my home in Eastern Africa at 18 to come study in North America has been a journey of ups and downs, highs and lows. As much as I love enjoy living in North America the fear on possibly raising children in a place that’s a constant war, is absolutely terrifying. I have a 8 year old brother who is an American citizen, so he’s an African-American male (in other words, a target). This hits me harder than I thought it would. Black Lives will always matter to me but I’m afraid that they won’t always matter to the rest of society.

What advice would I be giving to my little brother or to my future son or daughter as they leave the house?

1. “Don’t wear your hoodie up while walking on the street or in public” I don’t want you to end up like Trayvon Martin or Mike Brown.

2. “Don’t sag your pants and avoid wearing anything blue or red” We don’t want them to think you’re in some sort of gang.

3. “Don’t play that music too loud in the car.” You don’t want to get any unwanted attention.

4. “Please tell them that you’re reaching for your wallet before you reach for your pocket.” We don’t want them to shoot you because they think you’re reaching for a weapon.

5. “Follow their every instruction. If they tell you to get out the car, do so. If they tell you to come with them, do so.”

6.”Don’t resist or be angered if you know you’ve been racially profiled.” Don’t give them a reason to pull the trigger.

Imagine instilling children with this fear because we’re afraid that they may not come home. I don’t want them to grow up being afraid of the police, the people are supposed to protect them. They’ll constantly think what if they kill me? Because they certainly and most likely won’t be held responsible or punished.

Imagine every time you split ways with your child wondering if it will be the last time you’ll see them.

What kind of world are we living in? Will we rise above it?

Image Source: http://www.ebony.com/news-views/black-women-2016-election-poll#axzz4ZCfrParj

Born and raised in East Africa, Tanzania and Uganda. Edna is a 3rd year International student pursuing a major in Communication and minor in Publishing at Simon Fraser University. Currently doing a co-op placement at Simon Fraser University Career and Volunteer Services as a Special Projects Assistant.She enjoys reading, sports, theatre and karaoke. She is a loving mother to two beautiful guinea pigs named Amarula and Kahlua. She loves Cheesecake! She's a Social Justice Warrior Princess. Connect with Edna and follow her story. Instagram: @shineella96 Twitter: @shineella96 Snapchat: @shineella96
Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.