mamonde toner
mamonde toner
Original photo by Giselle Lim
Style > Beauty

4 Unexpected and Unknown Benefits of Rose Water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Growing up in a traditional Indian household, my mother always stressed the importance of using herbal beauty products. Her reasoning for doing so was that, and I quote: “You can’t go wrong with using natural products and you’ll likely never experience an allergic reaction!” 

Being the skeptic I have always been, I had to find out for myself whether the alleged benefits of her products were in fact a myth or actual holy grails.  The results I got after a few months of implementing this skincare into my routine (while making my own adjustments along the way) should not have surprised me as much as they did; everything actually worked and shockingly, much better than what my mother had told me. I still love and use a lot of the same products for my beauty routines (not just my skincare routine and you’ll see why) but I would be lying if I didn’t confess that the life-changing moment was the discovery of rose water.

The history of rose water can be traced back to ancient Asia where it was primarily used for personal care. Pure rose water is just as clear as water while also being lightly and sweetly scented. It can be made by either repeatedly seeping rose petals in distilled water or via steam distillation. Although YouTube has many videos suggesting you can make this at home, I prefer buying mine in a heavy glass bottle from any grocery store with an international section or at a local ethnic store. Whether you purchase it or decide to make it yourself from fresh rose petals, these are some unexpected and not commonly known benefits of using rose water that I’ve discovered from regular use.

For Your Face

Mixing rose water with a face mask – my favorite being powdered Fuller’s Earth (a herbal powder that’s almost like clay), is a powerful combination for removing and reducing pimples while also softening your skin. I like to use a ratio of two tablespoons of Fuller’s Earth with one tablespoon of rose water since the clay is really absorbent and requires more liquid to create a paste. Don’t be afraid to play with the face mask mixture by adding some essential oils or a tad of milk because different ingredients provide different benefits. Rose water is a great skin toner and natural moisturizer. 

Disclaimer: despite Fuller’s Earth being great for oily skin, it should not be used daily or even regularly due to its drying properties. For better results, limit the number of times you apply the mask to once or twice a week at most.  

Furthermore, rose water itself can be a great cooling agent for those horrendous heat waves we’ve experienced this past summer and is suitable for all skin types. I like to keep mine stored in a spray bottle that I can use anytime, no matter the weather.

For Your Hair

We’ve all had our share of bad-hair days, especially on days when we need it to be flawless. Whether you’re struggling with overly greasy or just severely dry hair, rose water can be your ally for minimizing the appearance of a flaking scalp. I recommend lightly spraying rose water along the hairline and where you part your hair before gently rubbing it in with a fingertip. This will reduce the amount of dryness that can clash with your hair colour, especially if you’re a dark brunette like me. This quick and easy fix can last up to two days depending on how thick your hair is. I don’t know the full science behind why this works but it’s a trick I often use, especially in the summer when I want to save my hair from becoming extra dry and itchy. I also find it to be a better alternative than using dry shampoo which in my experience tends to dry your scalp excessively. It’s safe to say you can toss out your Heads and Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo for now!

For Your Healing

An article by Healthline claims that rose water has both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties which are both required for the healing of cuts, burns and wounds -like piercings for instance. After several months with my newly pierced helixes, I discovered rose water can help speed the healing process and help ease some of the constant pain that comes with sleeping on them (I’m a side sleeper so the months felt extra long). It also has many powerful antioxidants that can help promote cell rejuvenation and formation. I recommend soaking a q-tip in rose water before using it to clean the crust around your piercings but you can apply it any way you prefer.

FOR YOUR SKIN

Despite the common misconceptions, skincare is not just limited to your face. Given the powerful properties of rose water, I suggest combining it with your daily moisturizer before applying it on your body. It may water-down the moisturizer, but that is why I prefer using hard cold creams, especially when they’re infused with vitamin E; cold creams happen to be richer in texture, which makes it better when rose water is added but I find that watered-down moisturizer can be easier to apply. Vitamin E when combined with the antibacterial properties of rose water, helps in reducing the pigment of scars and permanently removing them when used regularly. Now you can be ready for summertime and never have to worry about those shaving incidents leaving a scar.

Honestly, it still amazes me how many people don’t know about the remarkable versatility of using rose water. People from ancient China and Asia have been using it for centuries with little to no side-effects. Although there may be more amazing benefits not mentioned here, I encourage everyone to give the ancient beauty hacks a try even if they seem outdated. There’s no point in purchasing expensive skincare products when the same benefits can be found in natural-based products like Fuller’s Earth or rose water. You’re also less likely to be disappointed if the product fails to deliver its end of the bargain because hey, at least it was natural.

Manpreet is a Psychology student at Simon Fraser University and also happens to be a heavy baker of anything sweet and a hopeless romantic by heart. When she is not busy reading, writing, working part-time, or drinking wine, she can be found with her high school friends planning something.