10 #ThrowbackThursday TV Shows You Need to Watch (Again)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

One of my favourite things about being born in the 90’s is being able to look back at the amazing shows I used to watch while growing up. Is it just me, or were TV shows much better back then?

In light of my birthday and recent trends, I thought I’d throw it back to the 90’s and share 10 throwback TV shows that I think everyone should revisit. Here are 10 classic #ThrowbackThursday TV shows you need to rewatch (again):

1. As Told by Ginger

The series is based on the life of Ginger Foutley, a middle school (and later high school) student, who tries to navigate the world of teenagers alongside her friends Darren, Dodie and Macie. The four come together to overcome problems and their statuses of “school geeks.” Hilarious, adventurous and heartwarming, As Told by Ginger will teach you how to be the best friend you possibly could be. But be warned– rewatching this series may have you missing your middle school friends. Time to get your old squad together? I think yes.

Favourite Line:

Dodie: “Bad news. We’re out of soy dogs.”

Ginger: “Worse news. I tried to tell Courtney, but she wouldn’t listen.”

Macie: “Now what? If that bikini top goes flying…”

Ginger: “…we’ll be there to catch it.”

2. Archie’s Weird Mysteries

I just had to include this show! Archie’s Weird Mysteries is the original, cartoon-version of Riverdale. Based on the original Archie comic characters, the series revolves around a new mystery each episode, with a little bit of Scooby Doo and Stranger Things themes rolled in. If you’re into suspense and mystery-based TV shows, then this series is a must rewatch.

Favourite Episode: Episode 15 – Mega-Mall of Horrors: An evil being lures everyone in Riverdale to become shopaholics through a newly-launched mall. Meanwhile, Jughead realizes that his friends are being turned into mannequins in this new mall.

3. Sabrina the Teenage Witch

I used to get so stressed out watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch… I mean, the fact that she’s a witch was supposed to be a secret, but she just keeps getting into trouble in every episode! Also, a certain someone (no spoilers here) breaks up with Sabrina after finding out that she has powers. So sad! Aside from that, the show has amazing character development, and you even get to see Sabrina graduate from high school and move out of her aunt’s’ home.

Favourite Character: Salem Saberhagen, Sabrina’s 500-year-old witch turned talking cat. He is sassy and likes to eat food, including pancakes.

4. Sabrina: The Animated Series

I remember waking up early on the weekends just to watch Sabrina The Animated series. As the spin-off, cartoon version of the older sitcom, we see Sabrina as a middle-school student overcoming more crazy problems that seem to just fall into her lap. Top-notch quality show because of its writing and voice actors, plus some really fun educational episodes that’ll make you laugh.

Favourite Episode: Episode 39 – When In Rome: Sabrina and Gem are forced to work together for a history report but end up being transported to Ancient Rome alongside Salem when Gem puts their textbook in the Spookie Jar. All three need to try and find a way back home.

5. The Weekenders

As an absolutely classic to watch before elementary school, my friends and I loved The Weekenders. 7:20 AM on Family Channel every weekday… is it weird that I remember that? The show itself will teach you many life lessons, like how to be a better friend, how to manage arguments between friends, and how to be the better person in any situation. Also, the four main characters always seem to be eating in this show, so you’ll probably start craving chilli cheese fries, exploding volcano pizza (yes, exploding pizza), or a chug-a-freeze (some type of fancy Californian Slurpee).

Favourite Episode: Episode 16 – Murph: Tino gets upset when Murph doesn’t like him and starts to worry that nobody likes him. He then polls everyone he knows and tries to get them to like him.

6. Even Stevens

Shia LaBeouf fans, rejoice! He’s the main character in Even Stevens, alongside Christy Carlson Romano who plays his sister. Shia plays Louis, a crazy and mischievous young boy who always seems to get into trouble. But the fact that life always seems to go wrong is what makes this show so great! As one of the newer shows on this list, rewatching Even Stevens will definitely bring back great memories.

Favourite Character: Hands down, Louis Stevens, a hilarious and dramatic character played by young and talented Shia LaBeouf.

7. Smart Guy

He’s a smart guuyyyyy. Out of all the shows on this list, I’m worried you won’t know this one. However, it’s still a classic so I’m going to include it. Smart Guy is TJ Henderson, a 10-year-old high school student who lives a dramatic life alongside his older brother and sister, and his dad. With both funny and more mature themes, the show was originally picked up by multiple channels because it was that good. And it still is!

Favourite Episode: Episode 41 – Diary of a Mad Schoolgirl: When T.J. and Marcus find and read Janice’s online diary, Janice takes this to her advantage and plays a scary prank on the boys.

8. Kim Possible

Originally, I wasn’t going to include Kim Possible on this list because I thought it was “too new,” but I couldn’t stop thinking about my own childhood and how I used to always play the Kim Possible online Disney Channel games every weekend. You know, the games where you dress up KP and you serve nacho chips and pop? (Yep, no life.) Also, Rufus the naked mole rat is iconic, so I pretty had to include this show.

The show itself revolves around Kim Possible, a high school student who helps save the world time after time with the help of her best friend, Ron Stoppable, and a 10-year-old computer genius named Wade. Both empowering and entertaining, the show offers a fresh perspective of girl power.

Favourite Line:

Dr. Drakken: “… you’ll be swimming with the fish. Fish, right? Or is it fishes?”

Shego: “Fish or fishes.”

Dr. Drakken: “Well which is it?”

Shego: “Both are correct plural forms of the singular word ‘fish’.”

Dr. Drakken: “You’re very smug right now, aren’t you?”

Shego: “A little bit.”

9. Braceface

I literally just rewatched this series myself, because I loved it so much when I was growing up. Sharon Spitz’s (aka Braceface to her arch nemesis Nina Harper) life starts to change as she gets her braces put in. She can hear things– mainly radio signals, not anything creepy. The series surrounds Sharon’s middle school and high school life, while she works out problems with friends, family and boyfriends. Watch the show to see if she becomes friends with her enemies, manages her crazy braces, and gets back with her boyfriend because…no spoilers here.

Side note: Something that I learned while researching the show is that it is actually set in Elkford, British Columbia (B.C. represent!)

Favourite Line:

Maria: “I don’t know why you’re keeping secrets all of the sudden, but right now, I don’t care! This is important to Sharon. Give me one good reason why you won’t go and stop Alden!”

Brock: “Because Alden likes Sharon again.”

Maria: *falls out of her tent* “I don’t believe you!”

10. Pepper Ann

Out of all the shows on this list, I’m the least familiar with Pepper Ann because I’m pretty sure it went off the air when I was six or seven years old. Nevertheless, it was one of my favourite shows because Pepper Ann was so fun and dramatic, while her two best friends were super chill (like Tina from Bob’s Burgers.) If you’re looking for simple entertainment, this show is the place to start. The series surrounds her middle school life as she gets into trouble and overcomes the problems that arise as she grows up.

Favourite Episode: Episode 1 – Ziterella: Exactly as it sounds, Pepper Ann gets her first spot on yearbook photo day, and must disguise herself to go to Abe’s Mall in town to purchase spot cream.

Which of these shows will you be rewatching?
Sarah is graduating from SFU's Beedie School of Business after six years of studying marketing, human resources and international business. In her spare time, she volunteers to support other students' learning of business communications and at Greater Vancouver Board of Trade events. Connect with Sarah through LinkedIn or Instagram.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa