Why You Should Always Check-In on Your “Happy” Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Everyone seems to have an idea of happiness, but there is more to it than just a simple definition. Have you ever met a friend who was so happy and a constant light for you or other friends? A friend who is vibrant and always making you feel warm, no matter what might be going on in their life? That is the friend group’s “happy” friend, and they’re someone everyone loves. But I am urging you, please, check in on them.

Robin Williams once said, “I think the saddest people always try their hardest to make people happy because they know what it’s like to feel absolutely worthless, and they don’t want anyone else to feel like that,” and his quote rings true in most cases. Just because your friend seems outwardly put together, people constantly have self-turmoil, and it’s crucial that you take the time to help them.

So, here’s some tips from a college student who thinks she has the world figured out:

1. Watch their mannerisms, sometimes if they appear to be over-selling their happiness, it’s probably because they are.

2. Always drop hints that you’re there- if it seems like they’re having a bad day, be there for them. It might be hard for you to comfort them at first but even just the act of trying means more than you think.

3. Support them. It will be hard for them to drop the smile and really dig deep into whatever it is unsettling them, but you could possibly save a life.

Though these tips aren’t dated in a scientific journal with several examples to uphold credibility, I know that these are easy steps into helping someone out. Happiness can be a mask as much as it can be an emotion. People lose their lives every day because people didn’t see past the facade, by writing this, I hope you take the time to check in with your happy friends.

If you or any of your loved ones ever need help, don’t hesitate to utilize the National Suicide Prevention Line:  1-800-273-8255 

From small towns in Texas with deep cajun roots, Catherine is an extreme football fan that craves spicy food. A proud fur-mom with way too much time on her hands is slowly but surely opening herself up to the world of writing amongst amazing women.