Career

Student Teaching: Week One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

The start of this semester has brought such a bittersweet feeling. At this time last year I was walking through campus thinking “why did I take this 8 AM.” What I would do to have that back now, lol! Last week I started my clinical teaching at my former high school, Cypress Ranch. I have been blessed with such a great opportunity not only to teach at such a great school, but also to have my former junior English teacher to guide me along the way!

Sure, waking up at 5:30 is basically dreadful and I miss my little campus and tall trees, but this is what I have been working at for three years. After fourteen English courses, nine secondary education courses, and too many semesters of history, science, and Spanish I am in the final lap. This semester is equally the most exciting and terrifying opportunity I’ve been given yet, but I am getting the chance to teach something I have always been incredibly passionate about.

On my first day I was so nervous that I forgot what to say to my classes, and all I was doing is introducing myself. As I got a little more comfortable and learned a few of their names I began to get less nervous and speaking in front of the class has been less of a challenge. However, I still have a lot to learn and definitely need A LOT of practice.

My favorite part about this job is not even the fact that I am able to teach one of my favorite novels (Gatsby, of course), but seeing how different and funny each student is. Some students talk my ear off, others haven’t so much as looked at me; some are super interested in reading and writing, others are counting down the minutes until lunch. Understanding how these young adults work is equally as much of a challenge as figuring out how to teach certain concepts or novels.

I definitely miss my fellow jacks all the little things that make Nac so homey, but this is exactly where I am supposed to be and graduation is just around the corner!

Hey y'all! I'm a senior at SFASU however I am currently student teaching in Houston. I am passionate about literature, reading, writing, makeup, and music. I hope y'all enjoy my articles and see a glimpse of me in each one. :)