alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Christmas came and went, from it you had a nice sum of spending cash. So, what do you buy? A planner! Ah yes, a big, beautiful planner – full of life and waiting to be filled to the brim. However, if you aren’t a planner junkie like some of us (me) then you may be a little stuck on what should go into a planner. Should it include every single thing you do? What even goes in it? How often should you put things into the planner? Don’t worry, I am here to help you find out what planning style works best for you.

1. The Planner Pages

Let’s start at step one. To use a planner, you need one that works best for you. There are a few different types of planner pages you can use that are all useful in their own way. College ruled for structure, dotted for a bit more freedom but still structured – and then blank pages for total and undisrupted line making. Personally, I love the free structure of dotted pages. Regardless of the types of pages, the planner will still help you figure your life out.

2. Pens

Let’s talk about the colorful side of planning. If you have ever been in a Staples, then you know how many different types of writing utensils exist. You can use a gel tip, ballpoint or marker pen. AND THE COLORS. When trying to find a good pen, look for two things: One, non-leaking. Two, comfortable grip. Make sure that when you hold it you would feel okay writing with it for hours. 

3. Stickers

This is where you really get to show off your creativity. Luckily, we live in the age of Redbubble, where you can order any type of personalized stickers for your planner. If you want to be truly fancy, you can color scheme the months. Try and think about an emotion you want to use to identify with that month then get stickers and use colors to match that theme.

Photo from Flickr

Planning can be fun, but it can also be really taxing. Just remember – not everything has to go into it. It just helps.

Just a 20-years-old Animal and Ghost Enthusiast. Stephen F. Austin Her Campus editor and Co-CC.
Hello, my name is Sa Maria Boyd. I am a Louisiana native raised in the beautiful city of Fort Worth, Texas. I am a really fun person ( at least I'd like to think). I graduated high school in 2015 from the wonderful Western Hills High School. In my four years there, I was apart of the Color Guard, Key Club, Senior Board, My goal is to travel the world and learn about different cultures so that I can help the world become more unified. I am currently attending Stephen F. Austin State University where I will be receiving my Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communications with a minor in Psychology in May of 2019. While I have been in school, I have held the positions of Social Media Director/Vice President for Her Campus SFA, and Vice President for the 6812 Chapter of the NAACP. I have also worked on the Crew, the television production organization for the Mass Communications department, KSAU 90.1--The Axe, and all three shows for SFA TV2.