photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Podcasts I’ve Been Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Last summer I had started a newfound love of Podcasts. I started to listen to them during the 30-minute drive to work each morning, and they began to fill my 3.5-hour drive from home to SFA. The more I started to listen to them the more I started to love them, as they let me do something I have always loved. I have always been a learner; I love learning anything and everything that can happen. I find research and learning two of the most rewarding things in the world, and podcasts let me do that in a totally unique way. The personalism of them is also very helpful and sometimes I find myself engaging in conversation with the show hosts in my car, even though I know that they can’t respond. Those types of podcasts are hard to find, but when you do find them it is totally worth it. 

1. My Favorite Murder with Karen Killgariff and Georgie Hardstark. When I first got into podcasts, MFM was the one that got me hooked. I have always been someone who loves the spOoOoky and true crime has been one of those things. From watching Crime shows on tv to reading about it online, I have always thought it was peculiar, and MFM really helped me hone that interest. Killgariff and Hardstark are two hilarious comedians who really do enjoy each other’s company. I have laughed, cried and screamed while listening to their podcasts and I have learned a lot of interesting things in the process. Despite being beneficial for supplementing psychology essays, it is also a fun party trick to know some very odd details.

2. And That’s Why We Drink (A Paranormal and True Crime Podcast). This podcast holds a special place in my heart. Hosts Christine Schiefer and Em Schulz bring a big “just friends hanging out” vibe to the podcasts, which makes the show inviting and makes it feel more fun. There is something so enticing about two friends sitting down, laughing, joking, drinking wine/milkshakes, and of course talking about ghosts. Some of the stories are seriously spooky and will leave you shaking in your boots while you listen 

3. SinisterhoodThis is my new favorite podcast, as the two Dallas/Fort Worth natives make me feel more connected to my home and to the scary stories that surround us. The hosts Christie Wallace and Heather McKinney are well researched and help really set the scene when they talk about their theories, spirits, and scares. The duo also discusses their lives in the DFW area and their lives outside of podcasting, which brings a more personable approach to the show.

4. Getting Curious with Johnathan Van Ness. The Queer Eye star’s podcast is the perfect show if you love learning things but have no time – this is the podcast for you. Van Ness brings on a new special guest each week to talk about their personal specialties. Prompted by his questions the guests are able to really dive in deep about their jobs/what they are passionate about. 

5. Basic Witches. This is a brand-new podcast I have been listening to lately and I am already obsessed. Comedians Leah Knauer and Rachel Laforest talk with a special guest each week as the trio dives into how to be a person. During discussions about life, love, and manifestation they lighten the mood with playful banter and jokes. The podcast is a great distraction from the constant business of the world and helps you really gain perspective and focus on your life. The podcast is great for light listening or for an in-depth dive into your own psyche and spirituality.

I have bounced between podcast favorites for a long time, but I am glad that I have finally found my top 5.

Just a 20-years-old Animal and Ghost Enthusiast. Stephen F. Austin Her Campus editor and Co-CC.
Hello, my name is Sa Maria Boyd. I am a Louisiana native raised in the beautiful city of Fort Worth, Texas. I am a really fun person ( at least I'd like to think). I graduated high school in 2015 from the wonderful Western Hills High School. In my four years there, I was apart of the Color Guard, Key Club, Senior Board, My goal is to travel the world and learn about different cultures so that I can help the world become more unified. I am currently attending Stephen F. Austin State University where I will be receiving my Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communications with a minor in Psychology in May of 2019. While I have been in school, I have held the positions of Social Media Director/Vice President for Her Campus SFA, and Vice President for the 6812 Chapter of the NAACP. I have also worked on the Crew, the television production organization for the Mass Communications department, KSAU 90.1--The Axe, and all three shows for SFA TV2.