Mike is to Ike as College is to Caffeine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

If you’re a student, there’s a strong chance you’ve spent more than a couple of all-nighters studying for finals or, in most cases, partying to your hearts content. When the world is your oyster and you can do whatever you want whenever you want, time management is more crucial than ever.

It generally takes most students a year or two to realize this, in the meantime, students will walk into class with their pajamas on, or ladies will still have their bed hair. It’s easy to tell who literally rolled out of bed and walked to class. Especially after a wild weekend, the campus is certain to look like ‘The Walking Dead’.

Which brings me to my point: the line at Starbucks is five hours long everyday for a reason. Students are grabbing bagels and iced coffee from Einstein’s on a regular basis for a reason. Students are chugging Monster energy drinks like it’s Ozarka at a track meet for a reason! Why? Caffeine is literally the Holy Grail in college. 

There are some people who have to consume it everyday just to get through the day. Classes at 8 in the morning would be non-existent for both students and professors without it.

There are a large percentage of students, I’m sure, that go to class and although they’re physically there, they’re not mentally there. They probably gathered up just enough strength to get their attendance because they’ve already used up their excused absences. However, they probably can’t even take all of the credit for making it to class. Nine times out of ten they have a container filled with coffee or some kind of energy booster.

Students will say things such as: “I cannot function until I have coffee first” or “I’m going to be late to class because I’m waiting in line at Starbucks.”

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, caffeine isn’t really that good for you. A better alternative would be working out to boost your metabolism or taking daily vitamins to build your iron and keep you active throughout the day. Moreover, besides headaches, too much coffee will stain your teeth.

Nonetheless, this is definitely NOT a homily. It’s just always a good a idea to explore your options and know what you’re dealing with. College is the place where you’re likely to over-indulge in things like parties, alcohol, and pizza deliveries. It’s no surprise that the majority of students on campus include caffeine in their survival kit.

Hello, my name is Alayna Walker and I am a junior at Stephen F. Austin. I am a Radio/Tv Broadcasting major and I am minoring in psychology. My hobbies include reading, writing, working out and dancing.