How To Make Yourself Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by: LaShauna Bell

Hello ladies, gents, and everyone in between or beyond! Do you have insecurities? Do you constantly doubt yourself? Are you reading this for the same reason I’m writing it: desperately grasping at ways to not hate yourself? Then this is the article for you! No matter your shape, size, gender, race, age, or sexuality I believe that you are the way you are for a reason. So how do we learn to see our own badassery? Here are some tips:

1. Take a moment every morning and night to say a nice thing about yourself. Maybe you have lovely eyes, or bangin’ music taste. Just find one thing and say it and soon you’ll believe it!

2. Get a dry erase marker and write positive notes to yourself on the mirror. I personally dig this one from Buddha: “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”

3. Take a day to dress up and pamper yourself for no other reason except you want to look and feel good.

4. Or take a day to relax in your PJ’s and acknowledge that you’re still cute.

5. Open up to a friend you trust about your insecurities. Trust me, they will lift you up and shut that negativity down. If you have friends that tell you how much they love you all the time, it’s hard not to believe it yourself!

Mickey May is a third year Creative Writing Major at SFASU. She loves dogs, improv, and board games (not necessarily in that order.)
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.