This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

One of the most exciting parts about moving off to college is the ability to decorate your space however you want it – whether you’re in a dorm or an apartment. But often, we have no idea about where to start, or think that we don’t have the money to spend on things that we want in our room. Don’t fret! There are plenty of ways to get your dream room… without breaking the bank.

1. Decide on a color scheme or a theme for your room.

This is your opportunity to be very creative and think about what all you want in your room. Do you want a zen-themed room, bohemian or do you just want one with some crazy colors? While (at most colleges) you’re not allowed to paint the walls, there are still endless opportunities to make your room your own! I also highly recommend getting on Pinterest to give you some ideas.

2. Hit up stores like Walmart and Hobby Lobby.

If you know me, then you know that two of my favorite stores are Walmart and Hobby Lobby. There are so many great sales and you can get great deals. Even if you don’t necessarily plan on buying anything on a particular shopping trip, walking through Hobby Lobby can give you the inspiration that you need to make your room your new home.

3. Buy canvases and get creative!

One of the most fun things to do (at least for me) is being able to express myself creatively. One way to do that is by buying a canvas and just painting whatever you feel. You don’t have to be an artist to do this – I’m sure not! But just have fun with it! You might find that this is something that you enjoy. And you can hang it up once you’re done!

4. Bring in the green.

Depending on the “theme” of your room, I’d recommend plants – yes, plants! They can provide a very soothing vibe to your room and can brighten it up. Now, these don’t have to be real plants. Any old fake plant will do. I prefer fake plants because I honestly don’t have a green thumb and would end up with dead plants in my room!

Remember, it’s fine if you don’t have many ideas for how to decorate your space. There are endless ideas out there – the possibilities truly are endless. Just have fun with it and get decorating!

Brittany Malone is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University where she is majoring in Psychology and is on a pre-med track. In her free time, Brittany enjoys reading books, writing stories, and obsessing over Treasure Planet. 
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.