Wellness > Mental Health

Girl, It’s Okay: 3 Tips for Anxious Minds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

My anxiety and I have a very complicated relationship. We started dating when I was in 6th grade. He constantly assured me that I was too tall and too loud to have any sort of confidence in myself, even when I wanted to participate in ANY school activities. Even when I got reassurance about my height being just a growth spurt.

By 8th grade, we got serious. Suddenly, the only opinions that mattered were his. If I did not have things under control, my body would respond immediately, trying to decide if I should fight or flee this situation. I was thirteen years old when I had my first panic attack in front of my grade level chair. 

That was 2010. 

Coming clean about my issues with anxiety is not easy. My personality contradicts my symptoms like night and day. I guess that’s the thing with mental disorders. It removes the very essence of your identity. 

The moments leading up to your diagnosis seem like a turning point you did not ask for.

Healing and learning to live with an anxiety diagnosis are very much trial and error. It is the most unclear and difficult part of the journey. It is easy to feel alone when going through a trial and error situation. It takes time and patience to find what really works for you.

For me, it took about a year and a half and it is still a process to figure out what will continue to work for me. Ironically, I am almost done with my undergraduate degree in psychology. Now, I have a routine that works for me.

Let Your Loved Ones In

Sometimes admitting your anxiety is a cross to bear is difficult, but you do not have to bear it alone. Anxiety is heavy to handle alone. You have nothing to lose when it comes to letting your friends or family know you are struggling. Of course, if you know there is some stigma with certain people, don’t tell them. You do NOT need that negative energy in your life. At the end of the day, you do care about what others think. Nine times out of ten, anxiety is there because you care so much about things in your life. Your loved ones will help you manage the symptoms, not make them worse. Let the good in.

Diet & Exercise 

Being able to keep a steady diet and a routine for yourself is key to staying on top of your anxiety. Keeping routine along with your daily responsibilities will ease the tension you feel. I am able to work out at SFA with the Rec membership all students have and that routine has helped ease my anxiety. 

Do NOT Be So Hard on Yourself

The biggest lesson I have learned is to not be so hard on yourself. Sometimes I tell myself I could do better, but I am already doing the best I can. Remember, take the steps to love yourself and cut yourself some slack. We are all flawed humans. We all have our issues. It does not affect your self-worth. You must deflect the negative self-talk with positive self-talk. 

aspiring counselor trying to heal the world. SFASU PSYCHOLOGY AND DRUG ADDICTION STUDIES
Hello, my name is Sa Maria Boyd. I am a Louisiana native raised in the beautiful city of Fort Worth, Texas. I am a really fun person ( at least I'd like to think). I graduated high school in 2015 from the wonderful Western Hills High School. In my four years there, I was apart of the Color Guard, Key Club, Senior Board, My goal is to travel the world and learn about different cultures so that I can help the world become more unified. I am currently attending Stephen F. Austin State University where I will be receiving my Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communications with a minor in Psychology in May of 2019. While I have been in school, I have held the positions of Social Media Director/Vice President for Her Campus SFA, and Vice President for the 6812 Chapter of the NAACP. I have also worked on the Crew, the television production organization for the Mass Communications department, KSAU 90.1--The Axe, and all three shows for SFA TV2.