absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Easy One-Pot Ramen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Hi there everyone, my name’s Mickey, and I am a culinary genius. Well, not really but humor me. If you’re a busy college student like me without a meal plan, it’s a struggle to find new and exciting recipes. And even if you do cook, dishes just pile up and up and up. Or is that just me? Huh, let’s not dwell on that. Anyway, I got bored and hungry one day and decided to try my hand at making one pot ramen. Now this is not your normal, dehydrated Cup O’ Noodles. This has protein, and flavor, and fresh chives oh my!  Also, it’s vegan optional. And I’m going to tell how you make it.

What you need:

• 2 parts kelp broth to one-part water (or one-part chicken stock)
  • A quarter block of extra fir tofu
  • Vegetable or sesame oil
  • Vinegar (optional)
  • One egg (optional)
  • Fired onions (optional)
  • Ramen noodles (you can just take ‘em out of the pack)
  • A quarter cup of minced yellow onions
  • Seasonings such a soy sauce, garlic, Chinese five spice, Lemongrass, etc…
  • One, big sexy pot to put it all in,
  • A stove

What you do:

Marinate your tofu in soy sauce and lemongrass for about ten minutes. (This is a suggestion, but if you’re rushing two minutes will work too.) Add your oil, onions, and marinated tofu into your pot and bring your stove up to just over medium heat. Make sure you have enough oil in there so that your onions soften and fry your tofu. Then add your broth(s) and water to the pot. Once it starts to boil, add the noodles for six to ten minutes. This is also where you can start seasoning to taste. If you want to be trendy and aesthetic, you can poach an egg in the microwave. All you do is fill a mug halfway full of water with a dash of vinegar, crack an egg in, then microwave for two to two and a half minutes.

Plate up:

Give yourself a hearty scoop, making sure to get a little bit of everything into a bowl. Cut your poached egg in half and place it on top. Chop up some fresh chives and sprinkle that on top along with fried onions and black pepper. Now voila! You’ve got a hot and steamy bowl of ramen.

End Result:

Photo by: Mickey May

Now go forth and eat your labor. But don’t forget to take a pic for Instagram first ;)

Mickey May is a third year Creative Writing Major at SFASU. She loves dogs, improv, and board games (not necessarily in that order.)
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.