Easy DIY Zero-Waste Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

In continuation with my zero-waste series, I am back with a few Do-It-Yourself zero waste products. Making your own products is a great way to reduce the amount of waste you produce when compared to buying pre-packaged items. You can buy the ingredients in bulk meaning they will last longer and save you money in the long run. Most importantly, all the DIYs below will be completely all natural and devoid of the weird chemicals and dyes often found in their store-bought counterparts.  

The first of the DIYs is one I use daily, a coconut oil based toothpaste. There are no artificial sweeteners, dyes or fluoride in this toothpaste. The most important ingredients are the coconut oil and baking soda. Coconut oil helps to fight harmful bacteria in the mouth, reduce plaque buildup, prevent tooth decay and fight gum disease. Baking soda also helps to fight gum disease and  plaque formation. Baking soda alone can be abrasive to the teeth but mixing it with coconut oil helps reduce that. Remember to purchase coconut oil in a glass jar rather than plastic ones, and reuse the jar when you run out of oil. An optional ingredient is the spice turmeric. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and it contains antioxidants and is an antimicrobial which is why it is great for treating gum disease. Another optional ingredient (though I highly recommended it) is peppermint extract. A lot of websites often say use peppermint essential oil but essentials aren’t meant to be ingested, while peppermint extract is. A few drops of the extract will give your toothpaste the familiar minty flavor. Here is my adaptation of the full recipe:

Ingredients:

½ cup coconut oil

2-3 tablespoons baking soda

3-4 drops of peppermint extract

Instructions:

1. Scoop coconut oil in the container of your choice (I used a mason jar)

2. Mix in the baking soda and peppermint extract.

3. Stir into a thick paste.

4. To use: dip toothbrush into toothpaste mixture and scrape onto bristles.

Photo by: Lexus Jacobs

This is my DIY all-natural toothpaste in my dorm room. I think it tastes even better than normal toothpaste and makes your mouth feel very clean and fresh.

Mouthwash can be easily made zero waste as well, and it uses the same ingredients as the toothpaste. This uses filtered water, baking soda and peppermint extract. The only new ingredient to the list is tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is antimicrobial, antiviral, and antiseptic, making it perfect for mouthwash. Like all mouthwash, try not to swallow while gargling. Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients:

filtered water

3 tbsp baking soda

3 drops of tea tree oil

5 drops of peppermint extract

Directions:

1. Add all the ingredients into a glass bottle with an air-tight lid.

2. The baking soda will always settle to the bottom so shake before using.

3. Rinse your mouth.

For this last DIY, we are leaving the bathroom and entering the laundry room. Making your own laundry detergent is simple and maybe if everyone starts making it, people can quit eating Tide Pods! Making your own detergent eliminates all the toxic elements found in store-bought detergent, such as fragrances, dyes and bleach, and saves you money—as most zero-waste swaps do. This only involves four ingredients and they are extremely easy to find at your local grocery store. You will need castile soap, baking soda, Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, and essential oils (if your castile soap is unscented.) Here is how to make it:

Ingredients:

2 bars of castile soap

2 lbs of baking soda

1.5 boxes of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda

20-30 drops of essential oil

Instructions:

1. Finely grate the castile soaps using either a food processor or cheese grater.

2. Mix the soap with the baking soda, washing soda and essential oils.

3. Use 1-3 tbsp per load of laundry.

That’s it for the DIY zero-waste products. Tune in to Her Campus SFA next week for the last installment in this series. I will be talking about ways to shop zero-waste for clothing, shoes and home décor.

Pop punk enthusiast. Concert photography. Aspiring music journalist. The definition of a music nerd.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.