Don’t Stress About Plans Changing in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

For SFA students, it’s that time of the year again: Advising. I have never looked forward to getting advised. For me, it always involves more problems than solutions and lots of stress until I finally register for classes. I am now a junior and have had my fair share of advising sessions, and typically, what I talked about with my advisor never comes true by the time I submit my schedule for the next semester.

Being a freshman or a sophomore was especially challenging. Getting the very last time slots to pick classes were the worst, and it was like playing Kahoot: You better click fast. I would wake up at 6:30 A.M. clicking refresh more and more as 7 A.M. creeped closer.  And after the struggle and pain of prepping every single class I wanted to take online before I submitted them to the registrar, I still did not get the classes I wanted.

When I first started SFA as an incoming freshman, I thought I had it all figured out. I was going to be an advertising major with a music minor. I was going to get a Bachelor of Arts and learn photography and sign language for side jobs in case my “real job” wasn’t enough. While I am still an advertising major, the possibility of me becoming a journalism major is becoming more of a reality every day. I did learn photography and really enjoy it, but I am not longer a music minor. I am getting a Bachelor of Science, and will not be learning sign language at college.

After all this change, I’ve taken lots of classes that are not on my degree plan anymore, and even though my mom is still quite concerned with it, I am not. Who I was when I started college is not the same person I am today. I tried a lot of things out that’s just were not me anymore. Now with journalism and photography, I feel at home. And as you change, most likely your plans will also.

I know plenty of people who love and enjoy the major they started with at SFA, but for me, changing my mind on a lot of things was a healthy decision that I am glad I made. Don’t spend four years at college doing something you hate, even if that means taking a few more semesters past your expected graduation date. Finding a major I enjoy has created a world of possibilities for me, and I am once again excited about my education. Journalism has lead me to join outstanding organizations, like Her Campus and our school newspaper, The Pine Log. Journalism has also lead me to find outstanding people, not only in the organizations, but in the interviews I conduct as well. I have never been happier at college since I started writing again.

As my grandma would say, everything happens for a reason. Getting certain opportunities at SFA has guided me to a possible career that I enjoy and am good at. Not being able to register for certain classes, though annoying at the time, turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Find your path, even if there are obstacles in the way.

You can find me watching Netflix with my cat or writing a storm away. I'm a junior at Stephen F. Austin State University and I am majoring in advertising and minoring in journalism. I am a mental health advocate who loves all things Disney and have a slight obsession with floral patterns.