kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Gain Weight Over Your Holiday Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…until it’s not.

The turkey, ham, endless pies and cakes are going to be on full display and easily available to you. When the calories on your plate exceed your general daily intake, and the carbs are higher in numbers than the temperature outside, you’re going to be up a creek without a paddle when you try to get in your skinny jeans.

You cannot prevent your family from covering the dinner table with gluttony heaven, but you can control how much (and what) you put on your plate. Here’s what to do:

1. Drink water before you eat.

You should do this in general anyway. But because this is a special occasion, it’s really important to make sure to throw down a cold glass of water as it’ll allow your body to get full with less food.

2. One piece of pie is enough.

One piece of pie is enough. Pecan pie and sweet potato pie are common favorites. If you simply cannot resists choosing between two goodies, cut the slices in half and put them together. You can have half on one and half of the other. You can have both if you do it right. Someone cue ‘Best of Both Worlds’ by Hannah Montana.

3. Avoid unnecessary sugars.

Soda lovers, this one’s for you! Soda is bad for you. That’s it. But, I’m not here to be your parent, I just want you to know that if you already plan on eating pie and your grandma’s special cake, downing it with soda is just cruel to your body. Pick one.

4. Don’t eat your feelings.

Ladies, you already have that excuse once a month. Your get-out-of-jail-free-card is voided during this time.  When your aunt asks, “How’s school?” or “Are you dating anyone?” and both of those answers suck, don’t stuff your face with dressing. Instead, go to your room throw a shot of tequila back and return ready to those questions with an edge.

5. Watch the game!

It’s Texas. Nine times out of ten your dad and uncles are going to be gathered in the living room watching the Cowboys play. Go interest yourself in the game and be engaged. Doing this could lower the chances of you falling asleep right after you’ve just ate a little too much.

Listen, the holidays is supposed to be the one time of the year where you get to eat anything you want, and no one judges you for it, and you don’t feel bad about it. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but self-control is never not necessary. Here’s the ugly truth: summer bodies are made in the wintertime. Even though it’s not winter, what happens over the next two months will make or break you. It take 21 days to make or break a habit and devouring Debbie cakes several times a day and lounging around being inactive will add some more stress on your plate (no pun intended).

Hello, my name is Alayna Walker and I am a junior at Stephen F. Austin. I am a Radio/Tv Broadcasting major and I am minoring in psychology. My hobbies include reading, writing, working out and dancing.
Andrea Gallier is a Journalism major and Dance minor at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. Her passions include: dancing, traveling, hiking, backpacking, camping, The Walking Dead, and (of course) writing. Andrea sailed with Semester at Sea in Spring 2016 and is an aspiring travel writer. She has also worked as a contributing writer at The Pine Log at SFA and is a member of Dimensions Contemporary Ballet, a dance company in Nacogdoches. Website: http://andreagallier.wixsite.com/portfolio Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat: @andreagallier